View Single Post
Old 12 January 2018, 06:41 PM

I've been eating at Subway quite a lot recently (I get into ruts). The franchise I generally go to was closed early on Christmas eve. So I went to a different store that I suspected would be open, and was -- it's run by immigrants from...well, honestly I'm not sure where they're from. Somewhere in the Middle East I believe, but possibly not. Anyway, not only were they open till 8 PM on Christmas Eve, but until mid-afternoon on Christmas day. So, that holiday, I was most grateful for immigrants.

(On the downside, I don't know if it's connected to their place or origin or not, but they are extremely reluctant to use their air conditioner, so their store is generally uncomfortably warm, which is one reason I usually go to the other one.)

And sometimes might be better off with immigrants working our convenience store. A thoroughly American friend of mine was working in one once, when a customer with a heavy accident asked him, regarding the hot dogs, "Does this have picinit?" At least that's what it sounded like to my friend, who couldn't make sense of it after several repetitions, so he finally just said no, and the man made the purchase. It wasn't until later that he figured out that the probably-Muslim gentleman was asking, "Does this have [i]pig in it[i]?" -- which, not being an all-beef hot dog, it did. To this day my friend feels guilt -- "What if he goes to hell because of me?"

(Of course I know some people who would be smug at having tricked a dirty Muslim into eating pork. These people are assholes.)