View Single Post
Old 09 April 2014, 10:53 PM

Thanks so much for the response;

Yea, reflexology is another good example of allegedly magical treatment (in this case the idea that you can treat various diseases/disorders because of the nerve endings in your feet and hands).

As I said, I question whether chiropractors are truly qualified to do back realignments, but that is a debate that has two sides since they obviously receive at least a little education (between how to manipulate magical energy fields*) and I'm not the expert on how much education is needed, though other experts do express some concern.. Similarly some homeopath may say they can treat their premature balding with a solution of water and a molecule of copper or something, this is their call.

I worry when these things are done in place of real medical treatment, which is probably less common for chiropractors than other peddlers of woo, but they certainly do. In fact, a quick look at a bunch of random chiropractors in my city show nearly all of them (with detailed websites) offer 'magic' services such as 'energy manipulation' and similar things. Now maybe that's not why a specific person goes there, or how a specific practitioner practices, but that is still recognized as part of their treatment, this worries me particularly when they are treating one of my patients.

*In the effort to be more fair, a quick scan of some chiropractic school classes seem to suggest (aside from their pre-reqs which are pretty typical of low-end medical training like RN or Paramedic and legal medical classes like infection control) that a big chunk of their classes are business related, a big chunk are related to radiology (so they can probably read an x-ray better than your average person) and a big chunk are related to specific patient classes and disorders. This last chunk are where the issues may well be, given that (without a specific breakdown of the classes, which is more work than I'm willing to put in here) one cannot know whether this is real general training, magical 'woo' training, or somewhere in between.

Chiropractic is certainly better than most, maybe all, unsupported pseudoscientific medical treatment out there and seems to (these days) attract a large amount of providers who honestly try to provide science based medicine (despite choosing an unscientific speciality, I guess maybe it's easier than medical school). I picked this one not because I have a particular disdain for them, just that is what the patient in question was using, and even if it's better than average it's still potentially a problem, particularly given she already had one injury from an 'adjustment'.

A slap to the face may be better than a kick in the nuts, but neither is ideal.

Last edited by Mickey Blue; 09 April 2014 at 11:01 PM.