View Single Post
Old 23 September 2017, 10:30 PM

I recently finished Ann Leckie's Ancillary Mercy and Brandon Sanderson's The Rithmatist. Ancillary Mercy finishes up Leckie's Imperial Radch trilogy and I thought it decently wrapped up Breq's story although the overarching conflict is still unresolved. Really, it was hard to see how just Breq and Co. could affect the Radch Lord controversy all by themselves, so I'm happy Leckie kept the plot localized to this one planetary system. She has a new book coming out next week set in the same universe, so maybe there will be some updates on the current Radchaai politico-military chaos. I loved the Presger translators in the last 2 books. They function as terrifying comic relief and have had their biology greatly modified to the point that a koi can be swallowed by one of them and still remain alive in her stomach days later.

The Rithmatist is on the short side for a Sanderson book, and I wanted something a bit lighter and ATM I didn't feel like starting up a new series just yet. The ending was a bit cliffhangery, but overall it was a good stopping point for the book. It's not like anyone's lives were left in dire peril with fate TBD in book 2. The origin of the chalkings is nagging me and I hope it gets addressed at some point. Bonus points if Sanderson comes up with an in-fiction semi-plausible magicky explanation for where all the human bits go when they're eaten by chalkings that only have 2 dimensions and questionable GI tracts.

I'm about halfway through Grady Hendrix's Horrorstör. It's a semi-comedic haunted house book set in an IKEA knock-off furniture superstore. The book is laid out as if it were a furniture catalog, complete with ridiculously named flatpack furniture such as Frånjk tables, Liripip wardrobes, and Wanweird kitchens. I just got to the Bodavest chapter where the haunting has fully kicked into gear and and there's been a tonal shift from comedy to creepy, disturbing horror. Bodavest is the type of chair that would be used in the rest cure popular during the late 1800s. The chapter headings apparently are now going to include furniture that would only be found in a 19th century Orsk catalog that was primarily marketed to prisons and sanitariums.