View Single Post
Old 11 October 2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
squirrels and other small mammals* are pretty safe and there are no known cases of them giving rabies to humans in the US.

* Except woodchucks.
My vet. said that while mice could theoretically get rabies, they didn't worry much about cats' exposure to wild mice because the mice were so small that if they got bitten by something rabid they would almost certainly die of the bite before rabies had time to develop in them. Maybe squirrels are also small enough to be in that category, though I'm not sure.

Woodchucks are much larger; they're in the size range of a fair sized house cat.

-- Seaboe, I think you have to tell the airline ahead of time if you're bringing a cat. Presumably if somebody else tells the airline that they're deathly allergic to cats, the airline won't put that person and the cat on the same plane in the first place.

If the allergic person didn't tell the airline, I don't see how the airline's going to know.

But I don't fly very often; so it's possible there's something I'm missing here. I do know a person who's allergic to cats and flies quite often -- I asked how he dealt with the fact that there would almost certainly be people on any flight who had cat dander on their clothes (it's effectively impossible for me, for instance, to get out of the house without it, and he's allergic enough that we don't share a hug or even a car) and apparently he does very commonly have some reaction even with no cat on the plane but not so much of one that he can't control it with medication. I didn't ask him about the issue of an actual cat being on the plane.