View Single Post
Old 25 July 2007, 01:15 AM

To those who have the "No Soliciting/Solicitors" signs but will allow Girl Scouts-Boy Scouts-local schoolkids on property to solicit, you WILL have trouble getting anyone to help enforce your sign. The commercially-available signs don't make exceptions and the very instant that you do make an exception, you've left yourself vulnerable to all solicitors. Most communities' law enforcement agencies, however, don't have the authority to enforce YOUR "rules" and can only enforce the community's laws and rules. But, it does seem likely that should the authorities step in, they will want to know if your own enforcement is total or if you make exceptions to the policy. (To the poster who noted about how much money could you get from the door-to-door salesman, I think it would be more profitable--not merely in terms of money, but in terms of an individual's right to be left alone--to sue the company for whom the salesman is operating. Most door-to-door salespeople are selling FOR a specific company or organization, or are operating on that company's behalf, so the company might be a better target of the lawsuit.)
About telemarketing, there is a national "do-not-call" program which is supposed to alleviate all telemarketing IF you register. Exceptions were made specifically for non-profit organizations (usually political calls, also groups like the Scouts or local Police benefit groups) and commercial, for-profit organizations with which you do regular business (like banks or credit card companies); with the latter groups, you normally have to contact them to remove yourself from telephone solicitations (and often, if the company has an internet presence, this can be done through the company's website). Supposedly, the "Do Not Call" program is only good for a number of years, after which you have to re-register (I haven't actually encountered this yet so I'm not sure of the validity) but I have had far fewer telemarketers making successful contact. Of course, screening calls through an answering machine or Caller ID reduces the problem even further. Most telemarketing calls don't show an "incoming" number or are blocked in some other way which allows the receiver to simply ignore answering the phone. With the answering machine screening, I've rarely had a call come through; a live telemarketer usually hangs up on the outgoing message and most automated caller systems seem to rely on some kind of specific trigger to activate--I don't know what exactly since some automated calls have been left on my machine while others apparently aren't (I get a number of "blank" messages--they trigger the answer mechanism enough to register as a message, but there's no actual message). Also, if your phone number is close to a target's number (or has been deliberately left as a fake number), the "Do Not Call" register won't apply. In that case, you simply have to call the number left by the telemarketer and inform them of the mistaken identity and that any future calls will result in their being reported as a harasser--the phone company's are pretty good about putting an end to harassing calls. I've had more than a few calls like this, where the "agent" is trying to contact someone other than me--and completely unknown to me--at the phone number I've had for 7 years, and when I return the call and tell them I'm not who they're looking for--without giving my own name--I usually receive an apology and have my number stricken from their list. In one case, I was told this particular company only called numbers that had been left through a service--like those "we're looking for people blah-blah-blah" ads where ten different companies all leave the same 800 or 888 number.