View Single Post
Old 28 October 2017, 01:44 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
In an American-centric sort of way, you are correct. But in the rest of the world, it is not the same.
Hey, I did specify that I was talking about presidents. Kind of figured that conveyed the American-centric nature of my rant. Though I might check out some of the others on your list. I'm starting to wonder if America is known for incompetent assassins, unlike the rest of the world.

Then I remember stuff like you mentioned involving the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, a plot with so many bungling conspirators it almost comes across as a rejected Keystone Kops script and would be funny, were it not for the fact that it succeeded and we got WWI, WWII, and nearly every major conflict of the 20th century as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Clarification: DH thinks that releasing the papers would embarrass the Secret Service as well.
I can sort of see something there. The Secret Service had to be either incredibly dumb or willfully blind regarding the hatred the city of Dallas bore towards Kennedy. On the day Kennedy landed at love field, Confederate flags flew rightside up in Dallas, while the American ones flew upside down and both Ladybird Johnson and Adlai Stevenson had been subjected to spit showers from Dallas voters, the spitters predominantly being made up of middle-class housewives.

Clearly there was a ton of animosity towards Kennedy in that area, making you wonder why the Secret Service wasn't going to extra lengths to protect Kennedy. I'd be interested if those papers had some information regarding that.

Though I imagine it would make more sense to everyone if the assassin had been some rightwing nutbar who got off a lucky shot, than some pissant communist Mama's boy. While UEL is right in that not all Assassins were complete and total losers who had a stroke of good luck at the worst possible time, I stand by that statement when it comes to guys who took out American presidents.