View Single Post
Old 02 January 2010, 03:16 PM
cobra4j

Default Resistance to reality

I was in seminary when the shroud was tested the first time around 1990. I was extremely disappointed, and wanted very much to find a reason to not believe the test.

It didn't take long to find it. For one thing one of my fellow students had actually helped with Carbon dating, and it is not a perfect science.

However, since then, I have heard other things about the shroud that lend a lot of credence to the argument it cannot be genuine.

I'm not sure what the psychological term for it would be, but I have noticed that a lot of people, once they have made up their mind, tend to stick to their idea of "reality" even when proof positive is practically being shoved down their throats.

I think we need to look at the shroud in a new way. If it is genuine, then it might indeed be proof Jesus rose from the dead. I would like that to be true.

But - part of faith is to believe without proof. Part of faith is to see beyond this reality and believe in the greater reality that we cannot see.

Perhaps that's the real lesson of the shroud - to remind us that real faith does not come from seeing "proof" burned into a cloth; real faith requires something more.