View Single Post
Old 24 December 2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Say what?

Do they have any actual evidence of that? that is, not evidence that it dissuades a few people, but evidence that the overall likelihood of its causing damage is reduced?

-- oh, silly me. The people deciding to put it in there are quite possibly only nominally interested in reducing the physical damage; they're primarily interested in 'but it's an opiate/it's illegal! killing a few extra druggies is worth it if it keeps a few different people from taking it at all!'
In this context, "abuse" is about taking a narcotic for something other than it was prescribed, by a person who got it illicitly. It is aimed at recreational use of scheduled drugs, and it really has nothing to do with how dangerous a drug is.

I said it probably does reduce abuse (of hydrocodone--not of scheduled drugs in general) because people will choose, or will be steered by dealers to, the "safer" drugs when they are available. You hear a lot more about oxycontin abuse than Vicodin. I'm sure some people get started with Vicodin, and I'm sure many addicts will take it in excess when it is all they can get. But there is a reason that you wouldn't hear of any but the most desperate alcoholic drinking denatured alcohol now.

That does not make it right that something is added that can kill or cause permanent injury, for the purpose of discouraging abuse. Because of course it won't always work.

As does aspirin, of course. I'm careful with my dosages on both.

I'm not taking ibuprofen (when I need it, which is only occasionally) instead of tylenol because I think it's less toxic, though it may be slightly so; I'm taking it because, on me, ibuprofen actually works (at least on headaches) and tylenol doesn't do a thing.
AIUI Acetaminophen has a much narrower zone between a therapeutic dose and a damaging dose, and the damage it does can be permanent. Ibuprofen can be very useful at the OTC dosage, which is pretty far from the amount that will typically cause problems, and the problems it does cause, at least initially, tend to be reversible.

Like you, I tend to get less benefit from Acetaminophen, so my go to is ibuprofen. When I do need to use Acetaminophen, I am very careful about it.

Last edited by erwins; 24 December 2017 at 04:49 PM.