View Single Post
Old 16 October 2018, 12:42 PM

Hello, all.

Ken Jennings writes:
This is the 640th consecutive week of Tuesday Trivia. If you're new, I'm not going to try to catch you up on the 639 you missed. I think there were a few questions about penguins, and maybe one about Daniel Boone? Not sure.

And with that we move on to ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What dish can be called "gnudi" if it's made with ricotta cheese mostly replacing the potato or semolina flour?
Gnudi, gnecessarily, has ricotta. If you use gno ricotta, it's gnot gnudi--it's gnocchi.

2. What state's three oldest colleges are the "consortium" of liberal arts schools named Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin?
The Colby-Bates-Bowdoin Consortium are sometimes known as the "Maine Three." Is that a pun? Do they have puns in Maine?

3. Cirrus, meaning "curl" in Latin, is the highest of the four main types of what?
Cirrus are higher and wispier than cumulus, nimbus, and stratus, the other types of clouds.

4. Between World War I and World War II, what was by far the world's most populous country never to officially join the League of Nations?
The Soviet Union did join briefly, but the United States never did, crippling the League's chances for success. This was a tragic and ironic failure for Woodrow Wilson, who championed the League of Nations' creation after World War I, but couldn't get Senate Republicans to ratify joining the League.

5. Who's the best-known artist who still raps using the surname that Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J, and Method Man were all born with?
Those rappers are, respectively, Trevor Smith, James Smith, and Clifford Smith. The best-known rapping Smith who DID keep his surname is the Fresh Prince himself, Will Smith. Sam Smith doesn't rap, thank goodness.

6. Since 1904, a 43-foot bronze statue of "Christ the Redeemer" carrying a cross has marked a pass in what mountain range?
The statue, placed on the Argentine-Chilean border to celebrate the peaceful outcome of a border dispute, is called the "Christ of the Andes."

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these poems? "The Bells," "Birches," "The Emperor of Ice-Cream," "In Flanders Fields," "Jenny Kissed Me," "The Lady of Shalott," "Lochinvar," "Not Waving But Drowning," "Poetry," "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod."
These much-anthologized verses all end the same way. The last words of each poem are the title of the poem itself.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What 1888 poem is set in the town of Mudville?

2. In some Islamic traditions, what can a man do by repeating the word "talaq" three times?

3. Because of Michael Jordan's baseball hiatus, the top NBA scorer of the 1990s was by a wide margin what player, who played the whole decade for the same team?

4. Between 1994 and 2000, what American company tried unsuccessfully to register the iconic sound of its engines?

5. The passenger pigeon, Carolina parakeet, Labrador duck, great auk, Eskimo curlew, and pinnated grouse are the six now-extinct species of the 435 immortalized by whom?

6. What famous woman became director of the Red Cross's new radiology service in Paris during World War I?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by each of these comedians? Louie Anderson, Roseanne Barr, John Candy, Bill Cosby, Howie Mandel, Rick Moranis, Richard Pryor, Paul Reubens, Robin Williams, Al Yankovic.

Enjoy!