View Single Post
Old 11 February 2019, 03:11 PM

It’s about legal issues that the movie Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory ignores.

The movie was filmed in Munich, with Charlie’s city showing German text in the background. Meanwhile, Charlie interacts with at least one Brit (Mr Turkentine), who parodies every primary school teacher ever (“I've just decided to switch our Friday schedule to Monday, which means that the test we take each Friday on what we learned during the week will now take place on Monday before we've learned it. But since today is Tuesday, it doesn't matter in the slightest.”). The idea was to create a vague city that could presumably be England (where the book is set).

Augustus hails from Germany, Veruca hails from England, Mike and Violet (and maybe Charlie and Wonka) hail from America IIRC, while the fifth ticket is “found” in Argentina. That’s four different countries on three continents. Remember, Wonka doesn’t license his brand, thanks to Slugworth, so the competition has to be worldwide.

Also, I have to wonder: is the movie known in Germany? I can only comment here with the assumption that it’s known everywhere. Here, it’s a childhood staple in book and movie form (but don’t bother with the Depp film. It’s closer to the text, but it doesn’t have the same charm).