View Single Post
Old 21 March 2015, 01:12 AM

Mouse

Call it tooting my own horn if you must but I had similar feelings about Birdman. I really wish the Academy would let go of the "True Art is depressing as hell" meme. It'd be nice if I could see a recent Oscar-winning film without feeling like slitting my wrists afterwards.

Anyway, here's my review from the previous thread.

Quote:
Saw Birdman today and right now I'm glad I'm not a professional movie critic because I really don't know what to say about this movie. It's not something where you just spout of "This is Good," or "This is the worst piece of shit ever," it's just complicated that way. I will say that Michael Keaton deserves all the Oscar buzz he's getting, but I find myself thinking, "There's no way I'm sitting through this movie again." In fact, I can place Birdman in two different categories I have regarding entertainment: "Good but gives me Very little Viewing Pleasure" and "Good, Possibly Even Great Movies but Movies that Once You've seen once, there's no reason to see it again." Yeah, need to think of shorter names for my categories. Anyone wanna help me out?

Anyway, I think of it as being like the comic Watchmen. I'm able to recognize the creative genius and the skill in plotting and writing that kind of story, but from a reading standpoint, it gives me little pleasure. Or in short, the writer in me is impressed with the craft, but the reader in me is left cold by the story.

Okay, I've given my two cents. If anyone wants to say something, feel free.
Anyway saw the live-action adaptation of Cinderella today. If nothing else, it was pretty to look at, and I don't regret seeing it, but I am a little disappointed. Kept thinking they were going to do something new with the age-old story, but they just played it straight. Found myself thinking of the Drew Barrymore version, Ever After. It's been years since I've seen it so I don't know how well it's aged, but it at least tried to do something new with an old story.