Thread: Jesuit oath
View Single Post
Old 04 April 2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I seem to recall that one of the issues at the beginning of the protestant reformation had to do with printing bibles in local languages.
I know that I was taught that the Catholic Church strongly resisted efforts to produce bibles in the language of the masses as a way to retain their theological monopoly and prevent any sort of "free interpretation" of the scriptures from contradicting Catholic doctrine and dogma.

Like many things I was taught, I believe this to be both a dramatic overstatement and a willful oversimplification of the matter, which spans several centuries and was as much a battle of politics and political power as it was of faith.

No doubt, however, the Church objected most heartily to what they believed were important errors in various translations (including Wycliffe's and Tyndale's translations) not just they believed it could lead uninformed readers into heresy and, as an extension, loss of salvation, but also because some alleged errors could diminish the church's power.

Tyndale was introduced to me from my "schooling" (thanks BJU Press!) as a martyr who's conviction in the right and true way (AKA the anti-Catholic way) led him to struggle to publish the Bible in English so the masses could see the light and come out from under the Evil Catholic whore-of-a-church. In truth, it was more his other writings and his general rebellion against the Church that led to his execution for heresy.

And let us remember that Henry VIII himself oversaw the Act for the Advancement of True Religion in 1543, which restricted the reading of the Bible to clerics, noblemen, the gentry and richer merchants. Women below gentry rank, servants, apprentices and generally poor people were forbidden to read it. Women of the gentry and the nobility were only allowed to read it in private. So this wasn't just a Catholic thing.