View Single Post
Old 31 January 2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
What Ganzfield is talking about (I think) isn't whether or not people think they're feeling less pain, it's that they think they should be feeling less pain and therefore report that they're feeling less pain regardless of whether or not they're actually feeling any relief...
One of the latter studies mentioned in the article first linked didn't rely on verbal reports of pain - it relied on requests for further pain relief from the three groups. (The only difference in that experiment was in how the saline drip that they were given was described to each of the three groups. All had the same physical treatment).

That's a "report" in a way, but it seems to me to eliminate most of any "I will say it hurts less because I think I should say that" factor. The patients were allowed to ask for extra pain relief whichever group they were in. Somebody could tell the doctor it hurt much less, and then ask for more pain relief than another patient who wasn't telling the doctor it hurt less. The article doesn't say, but it would be even better if the additional pain relief was measured by the number of button presses to administer an automatic dose, or some other means of eliminating the need to directly ask.