View Single Post
Old 21 November 2012, 03:03 PM

Multiple uses of this quote put it at 1826, the year when John Adams died. The Online Library of Liberty (which doesn't seem to be as biased as it sounds) has a collection of words from John Adams around this time. None of them reference debt.

But they do have this quote in a 1825 letter to Jefferson:
Quote:
Books that cannot bear examination, certainly ought not to be established as divine inspiration by penal laws. ... as long as they continue in force as laws, the human mind must make an awkward and clumsy progress in its investigations. I wish they were repealed. The substance and essence of Christianity, as I understand it, is eternal and unchangeable, and will bear examination forever, but it has been mixed with extraneous ingredients, which I think will not bear examination, and they ought to be separated.
And in 1824, Adams wrote, "It is long since I have ceased to write, read, speak, or think upon theories of government, and now, at half way on my eighty-ninth year, I am incapable of either."

He might have had a sudden revival of his ability, but none of his later letters talk about theories of government.