View Single Post
Old 21 February 2018, 11:40 PM

Reading

Hmm. I'm re-reading the Dresden books at the moment, too, and I don't really see it as misogyny, except perhaps in that he makes some inappropriate jokes from time to time. He admits (insists, really) that it bothers him more to see women hurt than men, and while that's sexist, I'm guessing it's a trait he shares with a large proportion of men and some women. On the other hand, it's pretty clear that he has a lot of respect for the women he works with, and sometimes the ones he works against, too.

I will admit there is an improbable number of extremely attractive women in the books (even allowing for the fact that some of them are faeries, vampires, etc.), and that Dresden invariably has to describe and comment upon them, and that does occasionally bother me a bit.

Anyway. Not what I came here to say.

I'm currently reading a book called Missions Accomplished, which is a collection of short anecdotes (mostly) about travelling, complied by someone who has done a lot of it. Not the sort of book I would have picked up ordinarily, but it happens to have been written by the guy who was my best friend through junior high, high school, and into college, Tim Jenkins. I knew he traveled a lot, but I didn't really know it was this much. (Probably what caused us to drift apart, more than anything else, was that he's as hardworking and ambitious as I am not.) I'm about two-thirds of the way through. I knew a few of the stories before, and know some of the other people involved in many of them, but most are new to me.

To be completely honest: not sure I'd recommend it to just anyone. It's reasonably decent light reading, but the stories are generally not all that interesting or humorous. I also think the book would have been better written as more of a narrative, rather than as a bunch of 4-page brief episodes; the stories could have been linked by destinations, travel companions, or general theme. Instead, they are mostly in no particular order. (There is a general trend from oldest to newest, but many diversions on the way.) On the other hand, that could make it a great book for bathroom reading.

Tim tells me he's working on a sequel, and I'll be in that one. We did take a trip or two together, but not to anywhere so exotic.

Anyway, if interested, the book is available on Amazon, and an e-book version is due out shortly.