View Single Post
Old 02 September 2018, 08:21 PM

I started reading a biography of Ibn Khaldun. And then I put it down and now I have no idea where it is. My place isn't that big, but I've reached the point where I'm looking in kitchen cabinets for the damn thing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to cough up twenty bucks or so to the local library system. Also, the fifteen pages I read were decent.

I also started Ann Applebaum's Iron Curtain, which is good, but probably more in-depth than I want. Not her fault, obviously, but after reading a bit I start to wonder, "Am I really going to remember next week how radio in Poland in 1948 differed from radio in Hungary in 1948?" Still, a decent read.

I checked out 1688 from the library on my kindle, so I also have that. I assume it eventually gets into the Glorious Revolution, but it's a history of the world in that year, so it goes through Mexico, and South America, and then heads west before reaching Europe. This one might have the opposite problem of the Applebaum book, where everything is touched on a little too briefly, and I want a bit more depth.

Dammit, why can't historians just figure out exactly how much information I need and then deliver it to me?