View Single Post
Old 11 September 2012, 07:23 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Flibble View Post
I haven't researched it, nor do I want to for obvious reasons (hence why I'm turning to you guys to do the research for me)
Gee, thanks!

Now that I'm probably on yet another secret FBI watchlist, I did recall an incident where the Drudge Report printed some excerpts from Jim Webb's novel Lost Soldiers.

Quote:
The first quote describes a shirtless man picking up a naked boy who runs toward him. The book describes what happens after the man picks up the boy and turns him upside down. It comes from the 2001 book "Lost Soldiers."

Webb responded Friday morning on Washington Post radio. "Let me explain what that was," he said. "I actually saw this happen in a slum of Bangkok and when I was there as a journalist. A man placing his lips on his son's private parts. ... And the duty of a writer is to illuminate the surroundings.

"There is nothing that's been in any of my novels that, in my view, hasn't been either illuminating surroundings or defining a character or moving a plot," Webb said.
I couldn't find much else, but I remember that when the DR article came out, there were protests that it had taken these excerpts out of context, and that it was some form of greeting in rural parts of Thailand. Or something like that; cultural differences anyway.

And now to pack my bags and flee the country before I get tossed in Gitmo....

ETA: Transcultural Development Sexology: Genital Greeting Versus Child Molestation

Quote:
In America today, when an older male establishes manual contact with the genitopelvic region of an infant or child for purposes other than hygienic care, that behavior is likely to be classified as child molestation or sexual child abuse. Legally it is criminal and is subject to severe penalty. By contrast, among the Telugu-speaking people of central southern India, similar behavior toward boys may be customarily prescribed.
If I don't post again in three days, call the Canadian Embassy

Last edited by Mateus; 11 September 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: ETA: Article