View Single Post
Old 17 January 2008, 03:10 PM

Slashdot has a few good posts from people who are in Microsoft's tech support. Bic's blog did, too, but he deleted several. They all have basically the same story:

Microsoft tech support can leave a ticket open for callback, but they can't set a time or date for callback. All open tickets are reviewed each day - if a ticket has been open for a week, supervisors usually get involved and it's either closed, called back, or elevated to a higher level of support post haste. Since the oldest tickets sort to the top, this ticket would have been seen by hundreds of people every day for a decade.

Other considerations: Microsoft doesn't call back at 11 PM. All circa 1998 Microsoft software is no longer supported - even if the ticket was still open after 10 years, no callback would have been placed. It would have been closed and ignored, even if it weren't 10 years old. They don't use an autodialer, so somebody would have had to read the ticket and manually dial.

His "proof" is that he never paid for Microsoft's non-free tech support (which proves nothing, you pay even if the problem isn't resolved - indeed no bill corresponding to the original call would suggest it never happened) and that a bill from CDNow is missing from his records. What that has to do with anything, I don't know. All it proves is that he lost a 10 year old credit card statement.

Important points: He never talked to the people on the phone. On questioning, several bloggers have noted he can't produce the phone number. In light of independent stories from Microsoft tech support people (both in the 90's and currently), the way their system is set up, this simply couldn't happen. If they haven't called back within a week, somebody's probably already closed the ticket to cover their ass.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Microsoft tech support, but there's enough nigh-identical explanations of its workings around this story that I'm strongly inclined to believe them.

The guy's just trying to drum up pageviews on his new blog. Every so often, a blogger gets a bright idea like claiming Apple is suing him to get himself on Fark or Digg or Slashdot to try to drum up traffic. Most of them prove to be hoaxes, but by then the ruse has worked.

Last edited by hevach; 17 January 2008 at 03:15 PM.