View Single Post
Old 05 July 2017, 12:11 PM

In June (and so far in July) I've read:

The Wind Through The Keyhole by Stephen King - "book 4.5" of the Dark Tower series. It's mostly Roland telling stories in flashback as they all shelter from a storm, so it doesn't add anything to the main plot, which is why it's touted as stand-alone and why it can fit in after the others. Although you'd have to ignore a lot of stuff that you didn't understand in the framing narrative if you were coming to it as a standalone novel. I quite enjoyed it, anyway.

Merivel: A Man of His Time by Rose Tremain. This is the sequel to Restoration, and it's set in the 1680s, later in Robert Merivel's life. He's been restored to his good graces with the King (as at the end of the previous book) but is still unhappy. I didn't enjoy it quite as much, as it seemed a bit disjointed, especially towards the end. There were threads that didn't really come together, and the ending was pretty abrupt - justified in a meta- sort of way in that he was "a man of his time", and his time was over, but rather depressing in story terms.

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow. I enjoyed this - despite spotting a one-word mistake in the first chapter that almost made me conclude that Mlodinow didn't understand his subject or examples either. That was an isolated mistake, though. There isn't a lot of detailed maths in this, and the bits that there are are fairly basic, and theoretically I knew most of this anyway since I've studied statistics and various bits of mathematical physics involving probabilities, but it was still interesting.

Since I was on holiday I allowed myself a few of the remaining lighter books on my shelf. I still haven't finished the others but am plodding on...