View Single Post
Old 23 March 2018, 05:05 PM

Dog

For what it's worth I don't think he actually taught the dog to do the Nazi salute when it heard the command "Heil Hitler", it looks like he noticed that the dog reaches out with its paw when he teased it with food or some similar stimulus and he just yelled "Heil Hitler" at the same time for the video. (There's a bunch of videos online that teach you how to make a dog wave and most of them look much more like a Nazi salute that what the pug managed.)

He did teach it to react to the phrase "Gas the Jews", though. It looks like the dog was just reacting to his tone of voice at the start (most dogs will react with excitement to any random words if you say it in the same tone of voice you might say "Do you want to go for a walk?") and after many, many repetitions it started recognising the words.

The video also featured video and photos of Hitler and some swastika graphics, dunno how much that may have contributed to the court's finding. He never says anything positive about or supportive of the Nazis or their beliefs in the video, he clarifies at the start that he's sick of his girlfriend talking about how cute and adorable her dog is and he decided to turn it into the "least cute thing that I could think of, which is a Nazi."

ETA: if he'd prefaced the video with a statement saying something like "I don't support the Nazis and I condemn everything they stood for but I think this will be a funny dumb prank" and changed nothing else about the video I think he would have been fine.