View Single Post
Old 01 November 2017, 09:16 PM

I just watched an old episode of Jacques Cousteau's TV series from the 1960s and 70s, which took place around Nouméa in New Caledonia. (It was about the environmental impact of the runoff and discharge from strip mining on the sea bed - despite the much more spectacular camera work in things like The Blue Planet 2, modern nature documentaries seldom show human impact in the way that this series routinely did. It's as though it wasn't considered political to show this stuff back then, but it is now, or something.)

Anyway, it led me to look at the map of Nouméa on Google Earth, and I noticed districts named things like "Receiving" and "Motor Pool". (The link should show them on Maps rather than Earth.)

Apparently these names date from its US military occupation during World War II:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noum%C3%A9a#History

I can imagine people coming to different conclusions, though. If I'd not looked it up, I'd have wondered if they were from the mining corporations themselves, since it seems the city formed around mining operations.