View Single Post
Old 14 June 2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Are you suggesting that transwomen weren't raised in an environment that included sexism?
I most certainly am not.
Quote:
We all were.
Yes, I am aware of that. We were all also raised in an environment that included racism, but I am not going to flip the coin and insult you by suggesting that you don't understand the difference between being raised with racism around you and bring raised with racism directly or indirectly targeted at you.

I would also never suggest that transgender people don't deal with a lion's share of sexism. I would never discount the pain and rebounding repercussions of both racism and sexism on individuals, communities, and cultures.

I am merely taking a question that I think was first asked flippantly on the Internet by people taking a niggle at liberals, and hashing it out with thoughtful Snopesters.

So far many of the arguments made about transgender people can be easily applied to theoretical transracial people. That doesn't mean transracial people exist, but it wasn't that long ago that the idea of transgender people wasn't taken seriously, either, so I'm going to be cautious about dismissing the idea.