View Single Post
Old 20 January 2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Some old footage of UK roads -

The pedestrians seems to stay mainly on the pavements in these clips, but I couldn't help noticing their cavalier attitude towards crossing the road in front of traffic. Occasionally you see a pedestrian rushing to cross, but a lot of the time the pedestrians walk in the road with barely a glance towards oncoming traffic.
Thanks, Blatherskite! That's exactly the sort of thing I was after.

The existence of the sidewalks (is that pavements? here pavement's what you've got in the street, presuming it's not a dirt road) shows that the separation of traffic had indeed started before the cars showed up -- but it seems to keep wheeled traffic off the sidewalks far more thoroughly than it keeps pedestrians out of the middle of the road: which rather backs the OP article's claim that the pedestrian traffic was at the time considered the primary use.

I noticed also that the horse-drawn traffic was for the most part not moving any faster than the pedestrians are. I'm used to horse-drawn carriages around here; while they're certainly slower than motor vehicles, they're usually moving faster than a walking human. Much of the city traffic, however, was pretty obviously using horses not for greater speed, but to move a greater load: it's not carriage horses at a trot or pace, but heavy horses moving at a slow walk. The amount of this traffic in some of the scenes shown, plus the presence of pedestrians in the road, probably contributed to the fact that many of the carriages shown are also moving only slightly faster, if at all, than a human walking pace.