View Single Post
Old 12 October 2011, 05:26 PM
Milo's Mom

Default a case in being careful with quotes

I have had to deal with the quote a few times (I am a librarian) but when it has come my way it is always referenced to and 1894 Bankers Magazine article.

This quote seems to have popped up several times and with the Internet has made a resurgence no one ever seems to want to check to see if it is a valid quote however. It sounds good to those who are scared of international bankers conspiracies.

In doing the research I did find a digitized copy of a "Bankers Magazine" article from the August 1920 edition, that seems to want to debunk that quote. What is reprinted in the magazine, they say in the article, is reprinted from 1892 pamphlets. I see the quote "Omaha convention to be held July 4, 1892" appears and this may be where the magazine gets the 1892 date. There was a Populist (or People's) Party on that date in Omaha so this might be what is referred to (). I can't date this prior to 1920 so I don't know when it first appeared, other than to say that the editors of "Bankers Magazine" felt the need to debunk it by 1920. It does seem like something that a populist group would if not publish themselves, attract people who would do it on their own.

This issue seems to have come up again in 1933 when the magazine addressed it again and reference the 1920 piece again rebutting that is ever ran in their publication. They don't attribute it to 1892 specifically but the 1890's generally.

Further, in 1936 the Wall Street Journal also had to run a piece denying in any way that they ran that piece. I have also seen that it supposedly ran in The New American in February 1934 but I am not sure which publication out of several with a similar title, it is. I have even see it attributed to Charles Lindbergh (It seems likely that if Lindbergh used it then it is possible that he got it in the second wave -if the 1920's Bankers magazine dating is correct).