View Single Post
Old 30 March 2011, 12:39 AM
Silent3

Default Bankers' Manifesto of 1892

Quote:
We (the bankers) must proceed with caution and guard every move made, for the lower order of people are already showing signs of restless commotion. Prudence will therefore show a policy of apparently yielding to the popular will until our plans are so far consummated that we can declare our designs without fear of any organized resistance...
And so on, as supposedly "(r)evealed by US Congressman Charles A. Lindbergh, Sr." to Congress at some unspecified time in the vague range of 1907-1917.

The writing seems so blatantly absurd as to hardly need debunking (the Snidely Whiplash mustache twirling gets worse as the piece goes on), but when I ran across this alleged "manifesto" here...

http://www.democraticunderground.com...mesg_id=764760

...then did a search on Google, I got many, many hits on many conspiracy-oriented web sites. I couldn't find, however, any debunking apart from one hit on a web site which itself was hardly a source of objective commentary.

I couldn't find anything about this on Snopes. Has anyone else here run across this manifesto before? The number of search hits I got makes it appear to be quite popular in some circles.

I'm happy to note that the crowd at Democratic Underground (which is often too ready to uncritically latch onto anything that reinforces the notion that Big Evil Business Is Out to Get Us) by and large isn't buying this particular story.