View Single Post
Old 09 October 2017, 08:04 PM

Default Google uncovered Russia-backed ads on YouTube, Gmail, source says

Quote:
Google has discovered Russian operatives spent tens of thousands of dollars on ads on its YouTube, Gmail and Google Search products in an effort to meddle in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, a person briefed on the company’s probe told Reuters on Monday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...KBN1CE192?il=0

The reason I'm posting this in Techno-Babble rather than Soapbox is because of the question that immediately comes to my mind: Google, if it took the trouble to keep track, could probably tell you where I've eaten lunch or dinner for the past month, that I was shopping for a car a few months back but stopped, I'm sure could make a pretty accurate picture of my political leanings and hobbies, could link a couple of different pseudonyms I use or have used in the past in different places on the net with my real identity, etc. -- all that without particularly trying. How can they not have been aware till now that they had political ad revenue coming in from Russia?

I mean, sure, the people involved were doubtless making much more effort to cover their tracks than I do, but I'm also not buying thousands of dollars worth of political ads...