View Single Post
Old 03 January 2012, 02:47 PM

1. What 1980s movie protagonist is accidentally dubbed "Pierre Cardin" in the French translation of his film debut?
I'm guessing this is what Marty McFly was called rather than "Calvin Klein"
2. Which calendar month is observed as Black History Month in the U.S. and Canada?
February
3. What has s, p, d, and f subshells?
I feel like I should know this one...
4. What country is named for the "Lion Mountains" that Pedro de Cintra mapped around its harbor in 1462?
Sierra Leone?
5. What married couple won 2011 CMT Music Awards for Male *and* Female Videos of the Year?
Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert?
6. What English clergyman and economist published An Essay on the Principle of Population anonymously in 1798?
John Maynard Keynes? (Was he clergy?)
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these entertaining people? Roy Acuff, Melvin Belli, Clark Gable, Benny Goodman, Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen, Roy Rogers, Mack Sennett?
Ooh - I think I got this one! Benny Goodman was the "King of Swing," Michael Jackson was the "King of Pop," Steve McQueen was the "King of Cool," Roy Rogers was the "King of the Singing Cowboys," and I'm pretty sure Roy Acuff was "King of Country" or something similar, Gable was "King of the Silver Screen" or some such, Mack Sennett was probably "King of (Silent?) Comedy" - I have no idea who Melvin Belli is, but I bet he was King of something!

Feeling pretty good about question 7 this week!

ETA: Dangit, I knew #3 - should've gone with my gut.
ETA2: Wow, off by over a century on #6. I'm embarrassed that I didn't know that.