View Single Post
Old 07 February 2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The advice offered at the end of the OP article are very good: make sure kids are well-rested, not overly hungry, and that they get adult attention during dinner.
That last bit strikes a nerve with me; as far back as I can remember, perhaps five or six, a relative of mine would take me places (usually to a "fancy" restaurant with their friends/extended family) where everyone would say hello to me - and then promptly ignore me the rest of the night. I couldn't join the conversation because I didn't know what was going on, so I was expected to sit there, alone, with nothing to do, for hours. I was "too old" for crayons, if they even had them, and "too grown up" to order off the kids' menu (again, if such even existed), which means there was often nothing I wanted. Needless to say, I got scolded an aweful lot for being "cranky" and "disruptive" and "acting like a baby". I am, in theory, an adult now, but it still pings that raw nerve when I see my buddy's doing the same thing, and make sure to talk to/color with/acknowledge their kids when we're out to dinner, if everyone seems cool with it.