View Single Post
Old 15 July 2018, 02:57 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
America: the country that loves its flag so much that they sing a song about it (except no they don’t, because nobody can sing it), and the mere act of kneeling during that song is enough to get people whinging.
I feel a need to point out that the kneeling protests were exactly the kind of protests that the pundits and politicians are always advocating: peaceful and nonviolent, with no threats to persons or property. Yet they still lost their shit about it. It’s almost as though all these discussions about civility and respect, are really just a polite way of saying, “Shut the hell up!” like they object to the very idea of the protests, rather than anything related to tactics or goals.

Also, the kneeling protests began when Obama was in office and they were protesting police brutality. It was Trump who took it and made it all about him, because Trump is incapable of not making anything all about him. To borrow from Alice Roosevelt*,Trump wishes to be the corpse at every funeral, the bride at every wedding, and the baby at every christening.

Though while we’re quoting from fiction**, I’ll serve up this quote from “What if Captain America was Revived Today?” The issue was published in 1984, but goddangit...there should be a word for something you enjoy, but at the same time, you want to cry and shoot yourself, while reading it, because it is so prescient. Though I imagine we can’t solve this by having Steve Rogers beat the crap out of people, after which he does a singalong of “America the Beautiful.”

Quote:
You were told by this man that America is the greatest country in the world! He went on about how precious America was how you needed to make sure it remained great! And he told you anything was justified to preserve that great treasure, that pearl of great price that is America! Well, I say America is nothing! Without its ideals its commitment to the freedom of all, America is a piece of trash! A nation is nothing! A flag is a piece of cloth! I fought Adolf Hitler not because America was great, but because it was fragile! I knew that liberty could be snuffed out here as it was in Nazi Germany! — Steve Rogers, What If Captain America Were Revived Today?
*For the record, she said this about her father, Teddy, but at least he had legitimate badassitude to back up his ego, unlike Trump who has nothing but ego.

**I’m in no position to judge anyone, seeing as I cope with everything by filtering it through pop culture. Because fiction has the common courtesy to make sense, dammit!