View Single Post
Old 15 May 2018, 10:18 AM

Happy Tuesday. Time for ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What action might be accompanied by a Mexican saying "bueno," a Spaniard saying "diga," or an Italian saying "pronto"?
Answering the phone. Hoy-hoy?

2. What kind of undifferentiated plant tissue can be apical, lateral, or intercalary?
Plant growth takes place in cells called "meristem."

3. Despite today's Apple-Google rivalry, two Google-owned properties were default pre-installed apps on the original iPhone. Name either.
Google Maps was a default app, and so was YouTube...until Apple-Google squabbles scotched that relationship.

4. The album name and cover of the Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime, with Mike Watt driving exactly 55 miles per hour, was a jab at a 1984 hit by what rocker?
The Minutemen's masterpiece was inspired by the fact that they thought Sammy Hagar's boast "I Can't Drive 55" was a pretty dumb kind of rebellion.

5. The "classical period" of what ancient civilization revolved around the rivalry between the cities of Tikal and Calakmul?
The Mayans. I'm Team Calakmul all the way, btw.

6. The Basic Educational Opportunity Grants rolled out by the U.S. government in 1965 were named for what Rhode Island senator?
Pell Grants are named for the late Claiborne Pell. In New England, when you're born with a name like "Claiborne Pell," they just automatically make you a senator when you turn fifty.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these world capitals, listed in this order? Astana, Podgorica, Bishkek, Harare, Maputo, Malabo, Banjul, N'Djamena, Bandar Seri Begawan, Kinshasa, Bujumbura, Santo Domingo, Dushanbe, Jakarta, Ashgabat, Oslo.
Those are the most recent world capitals to change their names, in reverse chronological order. I went this far to get all the way back to Batavia->Jakarta and Christiania->Oslo, and I hope I didn't accidentally leave any out. I did skip Seoul and Pyongyang's Japanese occupation-era names, whatever those were.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What video game brand takes its name from the fact that it was originally a shoe-leather company founded in Hartford in 1932?

2. The Great Continental Divide forms much of the border between which two Canadian provinces?

3. Who was the only one of golf's mid-century "Big Three" who was not American?

4. What is the actual (non-seafood) main ingredient in Rocky Mountain oysters?

5. Styx, Nix, Kerberos, and Hydra are four of the five moons of what celestial object?

6. Who is the only James Bond actor from the 007 film series never to drive an Aston Martin on-screen?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these performers? Ernest Borgnine, Alison Brie, Isla Fisher, Bill Irwin, Hugh Jackman, Penn Jillette, Willard Scott, Jussie Smollett, Steve-O, Eric Stonestreet, David Strathairn.

Enjoy!