View Single Post
Old 06 June 2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
This kind of thing grinds my gears. If an employer expects this, then the employer should provide the phone/camera/whatever. I refuse to use my personal technology for the benefit of my employer. We just had an emergency drill last week, and part of the preparation was updating contact lists for everyone. The person in charge of that came in and wanted my cell phone number. I politely refused. My home phone is sufficient; if you can't contact me through that then I'm not available. If you think you need to contact me for an emergency, then provide me with an agency cell phone. Part of my reasoning is because my boss is constantly texting people who call in sick or take a vacation day to ask them questions, and when I'm off work - for whatever reason - I'm off work. The other part of that is I'm a public employee and I don't want my phone having to be searched for a public records act request.
Obviously it all depends. For instance, you are not being consistent in the 'refuse to use my personal technology' part - you allow the home landline number to be known by employer, just not your cell number. It's all technology. But you have also expressed a good reason for keeping it private - to keep it from public records act requests, and thereby possibly from even further delving into personal stuff, since it has been revealed in recent years about corrupt public officials using 'private' e-mails and/or cell phones to do official business so as to try to avoid legitimate public scrutiny. Such hidden business use makes any cell/e-mail/internet communication, particularly if it can be shown to be used at any times for work purposes, fair game for disclosure, IMHO. And that is a good reason to keep that number from the employer's records.

However, unless there is some good reason like that, i see no reason not to use your personal stuff on the job. I am expected to use my personal car for business purposes under three-hours each way. I am given a standard reimbursement which no longer fully covers that expense. For many of my meetings, I am required to wear suits or jacket-and-tie, neither of which the employer provides. Taking photos with a digital camera or cellphone for the office is no burden on the employee who has these things, since it does not wear out the equipment significantly, though if the office has problems with e-viruses, that would be good cause to refuse to link. Effo has been posting about her new high-end cooking job where she is required to provide her own high-tech knives (high-quality durable ones). Most mechanics are required to bring their own hand-tools (not the big stuff).

I guess what I am thinking is that it is a shame to have such a compartmentalized attitude toward life. Work should not take over private life entirely, of course, but we expect employers to make some accommodations for our private lives, and in return we usually make accommodations in our non-work life for our work life, if we are responsible people, like not staying up too late on a work night, or staying a bit later on a given day when there is a critical chore to be done. Boundaries are good, but unless either a particular employer or a particular employee cannot operate in good faith, the boundaries should not be so rigid.