View Single Post
Old 06 January 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
In the news reports I've seen, the Wichita PD is still saying the man kept moving his hands to his waistband despite multiple "keep them in the air" demands.
This is part of what I don't understand about these kinds of situations. How are police officers trained to perceive a movement as threatening? I can think of lots of reasons why a person might not keep their hands in the air. Granted, I'm not a police officer and I've never been in a situation where I've had to decide whether somebody might suddenly shoot me. I know that takes away a lot of my 'has a say in the matter' points.

But I still feel that police - and not just in the US - have too much leeway to determine what counts as a threatening motion. Widespread clarification and training could help to reduce a lot of law enforcement 'mishaps', regardless of whether or not the law enforcement in question is armed. Being uncooperative is not necessarily threatening. Panicking is not necessarily threatening.

I would have thought - or hoped, rather - that an officer would be trained that they have to actually see a gun before they shoot on suspicion that the suspect is about to shoot first. I mean, nobody can shoot hands-free from a weapon in their pants, so even if they're suspected of having a gun in their waistband they would have to at least partially reveal the weapon before they can get the first shot. I know people can be quick, but the swat team is already aiming!

A lethal shot shouldn't be a punishment for simply not following instructions, is what I'm getting at.