View Single Post
Old 10 January 2018, 02:11 PM

I may get hate mail for this, but I submit the original Gunslinger book by Stephen King. I had always been a King fan, but I was unpleasantly surprised at how bad the descriptions and situations were. I don't have the book with me, but I recall descriptions such as the townspeople wandering around like "pallid balls with eyes". I also didn't understand actions such as Roland executing an entire town and his 'relations' with Sylvia. The parrot Zoltan also seemed rather random. The violence seemed to commonplace and casual for me to understand or appreciate. I was also turned off by the way people spoke, like "Thankee-sai", without much explanation or connotation.

I had read the book quite some years ago, and it put me off reading the rest of the series, until one day I picked up a later book in the series when I was in need of reading material. I was quickly hooked and enjoyed the rest of the series. Even though they had odd ways of speaking and mannerisms, I was much more easily able to understand it in context. I then reread the first book and was repulsed by it once more.

I've heard that the revised version is much better, but I haven't read it. I was going to chalk this book's awkwardness up to a novice writer, but it's not clear to me if King wrote the manuscript early and set it aside or if it was after hits such as Carrie.