View Single Post

Old 20 July 2013, 12:43 AM

Bang Head

Le sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
In 1881 a left wing radical Democrat shot James Garfield, President of the United States who later died from the wound.
Charles Guiteau, who killed James Garfield, was mentally unstable. Also, not that it really matters, but he was not a Democrat:
Quote:
In 1880, Guiteau adopted his final passion: politics. His cause became promoting the Stalwart faction of the Republican Party. In 1880, Republicans were split between the Stalwarts, who preferred to nominate Ulysses Grant for a third presidential term, and the Half-Breeds, reformers who favored the nomination of Maine Senator James G. Blaine.
{ snip }
Although Guiteau had written speeches in support of Grant, when Garfield became the nominee, Guiteau simply scratched Grant's name from his speech and substituted Garfield's.
{ snip }
He reprinted his speech entitled "Garfield vs. Hancock" (Hancock was the Democratic nominee for president), a cliche-filled stream of over-the-top arguments, including his suggestion that the election of Hancock was likely to produce a second civil war. In November, Garfield narrowly defeated Hancock, and Guiteau concluded that the ideas presented in his speech secured the Republican victory.
And, as most Americans know (or so I thought!), Guiteau then thought Garfield owed him a job.
Quote:
In 1983 a registered Democrat shot and wounded Ronald Reagan.
While John Hinkley Sr. was a Republican I can't find any evidence that John Hinkley Jr. had any sort of political affiliations at all. Other than the author of that email most people know he was not motivated by Reagan's politics. In fact, he had previously stalked Jimmy Carter:
Quote:
Consciously or not, Hinckley began to emulate [Taxi Driver protagonist Travis] Bickle, accumulating an arsenal of weapons and fixating on Jodie Foster. Foster would not be his target, but his inspiration: To "rescue" her, he began to stalk Jimmy Carter during the 1979 presidential campaign.
Emphasis mine:
Quote:
In 1863 a Democrat shot and killed Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States.
{ snip }
In 1983 a registered Democrat shot and wounded Ronald Reagan.
Is this a joke? With all the outright fabrications and idiotic errors it's hard for me to believe that this (the updated version) wasn't a parody. I did find it reposted on many other sites, however. In fact, I found this version on several sites that also gets the year of JFK's assassination wrong.

Brian