View Single Post
Old 27 July 2010, 03:10 PM
55disneyland

Default Herbert Hoover and Aimee Semple McPherson

Hi. I'm a Los Angeles radio historian and I'm writing a paper on whether or not 1920s evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson really sent an angry telegram to Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover (also known as the radio czar at the time), about her radio station, KFSG. The alleged 1920s era telegram reportedly had the quote "tell your minions of satan to leave my radio station alone."

I don't believe this incident ever took place and is another myth from the early years of radio.

I've had a couple of radio history experts see what I've written so far, and they say that my only problem now in 2010, is how can I stamp out a rumor that is about 85 years old and sounds so good? (One friend said that he always believed the Hoover story, but now I almost have him convinced the story is not true.)

I know this is a case of trying to "prove a negative", where all those involved are dead and there are limited records about what might have taken place.
One of my radio history expert friends says that however, I have raised enough doubts to bring Hoover's accuracy into question.

So, I'm wondering if anybody reading this has any ideas or suggestions on how I should proceed with further research to prove that this urban legend is not true?

Thanks for your time and help.

Jim Hilliker
Monterey, CA