independent documentary film maker. Somehow we had gotten onto the topic
of McDonald's somehow, and she mentioned that her husband had worked on a
piece describing that they put saccharine or some other kind of sweet
substance in their hamburger meat to keep people hooked and addicted to
their burgers. It seems plausible, I wouldn't know, so I figured I would
ask.
1) Saccharine isn't addictive.
2) It becomes bitter when you cook it
3) There are cheaper ways to sweeten meat.
4) McDonald's doesn't put sugar in their meat- they put it in the buns so they caramelize easier.*

*according to my mother, who worked at McD's for 7 years while in school. This could very well have changed though.

ETA: Subway does put sweetener in their meatballs. I believe it was corn syrup. I learned this working there and having to read the ingredient label to see if there was any pork in them for a customer.

ETA2: This is off McD's website
Quote:
Beef Patty:
100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders. Prepared with grill seasoning (salt, black pepper).
Regular Bun:
Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, high fructose corn syrup, yeast, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, soybean oil, canola oil, contains 2% or less of each of the following: salt, wheat gluten, calcium sulfate, soy flour, ammonium sulfate, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, ammonium chloride, baking soda, sorbic acid, deactivated dry yeast, dough conditioners (may contain one or more the following: distilled monoglycerides, DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium peroxide, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono- and diglycerides, enzymes, guar gum), calcium propionate & sodium propionate (preservatives), soy lecithin. CONTAINS: WHEAT AND SOY
Underlining mine.

Last edited by FloridaGirl; 26 March 2007 at 10:37 AM.