snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Crime (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Black gangs that require the murder of a white person to join? (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=94236)

crocoduck_hunter 08 July 2016 06:10 AM

Black gangs that require the murder of a white person to join?

I was just playing some online games with a guy who was yacking about how he couldn't go into Memphis, Tennessee anymore because an unnamed black gang there had a bounty on his head after they'd tried to kill him multiple times as a gang initiation (because they needed to kill a random white person) and failed. The whole thing sounded very ULish to me so I wanted to check, have there been any confirmed instances of ethnic gangs in the US that actually had such an initiation? The whole story was just too unbelievable a setup- his whole immediate family had been targeted but none of them had been injured and basically this gang sounded like they were about as competent as the bad guys from a PG movie where they get outwitted by the 6-year-old protagonist. Anyone else know anything?

Psihala 08 July 2016 06:34 AM

It sounds like something that would fit right in with this list:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/gangs.asp

~Psihala

wanderwoman 08 July 2016 08:29 AM

I know this misses the bigger issue with this urban legend, but he can't be a random white person if they are targeting him and his family. Just sayin'. :lol:

Alarm 08 July 2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderwoman (Post 1921561)
I know this misses the bigger issue with this urban legend, but he can't be a random white person if they are targeting him and his family. Just sayin'. :lol:

He was chosen randomly... but the member can't join until that one white dude they chose for him is dead, see...

So he has to keep trying.

And that's how the studios will keep making sequels like

"Incompetent Ganger VII: Gang harder"
"Incompetent Ganger LCVII: WTF?"
"Incompetent Ganger MCII: Oh, For God's Sake!"

Lainie 08 July 2016 01:21 PM

So the gang picks a random white dude, then if he's not immediately killed, they research him and his family and continue to pursue them. . . sure, that sounds plausible, and not at all like a paranoid fantasy. :lol:

kitap 08 July 2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1921573)
So the gang picks a random white dude, then if he's not immediately killed, they research him and his family and continue to pursue them. . . sure, that sounds plausible, and not at all like a paranoid fantasy. :lol:

I think that's the plot of half the half-baked thrillers I've read over the years.

crocoduck_hunter 08 July 2016 02:55 PM

And how would you even know if you were being targeted this way, right? Does the gang put the information up on their Facebook page? "Our current initiation is kill the dude seen in the picture. And if you fail to kill him on the first try, you can research his family at the local records office and kill one of them instead."

A Turtle Named Mack 09 July 2016 01:13 AM

I think this was one of the plot lines in Jumanji, where the English hunter could not join the private club until he had killed a mime.

crocoduck_hunter 09 July 2016 01:40 AM

Are you saying that the guy in my first post was a mime? Because he was awfully chatty for one...

Esprise Me 09 July 2016 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alarm (Post 1921569)
And that's how the studios will keep making sequels like

"Incompetent Ganger VII: Gang harder"
"Incompetent Ganger LCVII: WTF?"
"Incompetent Ganger MCII: Oh, For God's Sake!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

urbanlegendfanatic 12 July 2016 09:48 PM

The way I heard it it was a Mexican gang and they had to - can I say it here?- rape a woman. These sorts of horror stories go back to the rumors of the Mafia where you supposedly have to kill a member of your own family to belong.

E. Q. Taft 16 August 2016 10:02 PM

In the book Lucifer's Hammer (written in the 70's) there's a reference to Chicano gangs that require killing a black in order to join, so I guess there's some kind of balance. (It's a novel, no idea if they were just making that up or thought there was something to it in reality.)

crescent 16 August 2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter (Post 1921589)
And how would you even know if you were being targeted this way, right? Does the gang put the information up on their Facebook page? "Our current initiation is kill the dude seen in the picture. And if you fail to kill him on the first try, you can research his family at the local records office and kill one of them instead."

It's like an open invitation. "The Memphis Bangers proudly announce their fall pledge drive. The first person to kill George (pictured) gains admittance to the club. Please provide his left thumb for verification."

crocoduck_hunter 17 August 2016 12:16 AM

Is it like pledge week on PBS?

crescent 17 August 2016 04:14 PM

I was thinking more like the way college students pledge for fraternities or sororities. Except instead of going through hazing rituals with heavy drinking and barnyard animals, they have to kill white folks selected through some sort of bad-luck lottery.

Its a totally realistic scenario.:duh:

Ali Infree 17 August 2016 04:36 PM

Hold it! If you kill a mime what gang do you get to join? Sounds like a Bobcat Goldthwaite idea.:fish:

Ali

crocoduck_hunter 17 August 2016 05:56 PM

You can't kill mimes.

They always hear you coming. :fish:

GenYus234 17 August 2016 06:23 PM

A mime is a terrible thing to waste.

Dasla 18 August 2016 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenYus234 (Post 1925818)
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.

:fish:

Since you didn't get yourself.