snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Amusement Bark (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Candy Crush: You play, you're hooked. Now what? (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=86970)

snopes 02 September 2013 04:44 PM

Candy Crush: You play, you're hooked. Now what?

If you count yourself a Candy Crush Saga holdout, you've probably been warned by friends not to start playing. Because once you do, you won't be able to stop.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576...oked-now-what/

Mickey Blue 02 September 2013 04:49 PM

This is what happens when commercials and news stories have babies.

Der Induktionator 02 September 2013 05:03 PM

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

I really have a hard time understanding these games. Is it something like Barney? It's very possible I have a genetic defect that prevents me from enjoying games, I don't understand card games either. I mean, I can believe that people find them appealing, I just don't understand why, or what makes them appealing.

mags 02 September 2013 05:30 PM

Mental reward for simple actions. You get that little burst of pleasure for accomplishing something (winning a level of Candy Crush, or a game of solitaire for example), without having had to do anything particularly taxing. I also find the repetitive nature of the games mentally soothing. It is a good way to occupy the easily distracted part of my brain, so I can focus better on important thoughts. Like meditation I guess. It is repetitive but not completely mindless.

I played candy crush, and was enjoying it, until I got to the point I either had to bug friends or pay money. I would have paid a buck for the game, but at the point it asked for money, it was completely vague about how much, precisely, that money would open. It was something like "pay $1 to go on?" If it was the rest of the game, I would have in a second. If it was as much as I already had played, I'd have considered it. But there was absolutely nothing to tell me what I was buying, so it rubbed me the wrong way, and I deleted it.

Talleyrand 02 September 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mags (Post 1765112)
I played candy crush, and was enjoying it, until I got to the point I either had to bug friends or pay money. I would have paid a buck for the game, but at the point it asked for money, it was completely vague about how much, precisely, that money would open. It was something like "pay $1 to go on?" If it was the rest of the game, I would have in a second. If it was as much as I already had played, I'd have considered it. But there was absolutely nothing to tell me what I was buying, so it rubbed me the wrong way, and I deleted it.

I have no experience with the game, so what actually happens in the game that makes you have to bug friends or pay? Does anyone know what happens if you actually do it? At least a few of my Facebook Friends have sent me invitations to play the game, some of whom I haven't talked to in years.

quink 02 September 2013 05:35 PM

These articles seem to come out every time the latest casual game becomes popular as if it's some new thing. Simple games like these have always had a bit of an addictive quality - I remember my mom and I having Tetris and Bejeweled battles when I first moved away from home (I'd come home to visit, beat her high score, then she'd work to beat my new high score in time for my next visit home).

I play casual games until I get bored of them. I spend my dollar and have something mindless to poke away at if I'm waiting for the bus or unwinding after work. If they're done well, they're fun to play with a slight addictive quality (I was always an achievement junkie as a gamer, so if a game has objectives I'll go for them) without being frustrating enough that people decide it's not worth it. Candy Crush hits that balance well, and enough people agree that it'll be wildly popular until the next fun, mindless game comes along. At that point, it'll go hang out with Angry Birds, Farmville, Tetris, Temple Run, and whatever other games have hit that spot. I used to be a pretty hard core gamer, spending enough hours per week playing WoW that I could have been holding down a part time job. I've deliberately avoided getting into 'serious' games again because I'm not at a point in my life where I want to do that, but I still like having a couple casual games on my phone for when I'm in the mood.

I can see why some people get annoyed at constant facebook spamming (I try to set any facebook games I play to 'me only'), and I'll admit that I rolled my eyes a bit when a family member announced that she was quitting Candy Crush with the same seriousness that she would have announced a relationship ending, but I don't think fluffy, casual games are any worse than any of the other fluffy, casual things we do for fun.

eta: Candy Crush is divided into different 'episodes' of 15 levels each. When you complete an episode, you need to unlock the next by either asking three friends or paying 99 cents. It's not bad if you have a lot of friends who play the game - They'll see your request when they load the game, and you're not bugging anyone who's not already playing the same game. I've run into the same thing with other games that haven't been as popular so I've just dropped them rather than bugging people who don't play or paying the extra money. Friend interaction in general can be limited to others playing the game. It'll ask if you want to send extra lives or extra moves to friends, for example, but only people who have the app installed.

Chloe 02 September 2013 05:47 PM

You dnt have to bug friends or pay. You can do the quest option instead.

Simply Madeline 02 September 2013 07:31 PM

I always do the quests to get to the next episode. You can only do one quest per 24 hours, so it automatically limits my playing time!

Sue 02 September 2013 07:37 PM

I enjoy Candy Crush and I guess I probably am hooked but I don't pay to play and I find the number of games I can get in the course of a day are enough so I don't need to do anything else to get more. What are the quests though? I must be missing something, I never noticed that as an option.

My only problem with Candy Crush is sometimes at night when I'm trying to sleep all I can see are cascading lines of candy. Not exactly conducive to sleep!

quink 02 September 2013 07:41 PM

It looks like the quest option is available if you're not playing the facebook version (or linked to facebook from the mobile version). I never noticed it since I always had enough active friends to go the request route.

Chloe 02 September 2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Madeline (Post 1765126)
I always do the quests to get to the next episode. You can only do one quest per 24 hours, so it automatically limits my playing time!

Tsk! You can't put your clock forward 24 hours?

Simply Madeline 02 September 2013 08:44 PM

Well, damn, I never thought of that... There goes my productivity this week.

Not_Done_Living 03 September 2013 12:44 AM

i am on level 413 -- but the mobile version currently only goes up to 410.
I would play it while waiting for the kids to get out of Karate or Dance and they were late, or i was early -- a level here, a level there -- it's when you get stuck on a level for a few days or a week, or longer and then you finally crack it and move on -- it's a great sense of accomplishment even thought it ultimately means nothing.

Lulu 03 September 2013 01:32 AM

I'm stuck on level 350. I've been stuck there for a few weeks, not sure how much longer I'll keep trying or if I just get sick of it and stop.

Dropbear 03 September 2013 01:37 AM

Tried it on the basis that so many were playing but didn't find it interesting at all. Deleted from my phone eventually. I could see it was well designed to hook people in though. I may have been inoculated having previously been hooked on a swap and match game a couple of months previously.

Dropbear

Not_Done_Living 03 September 2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu (Post 1765159)
I'm stuck on level 350. I've been stuck there for a few weeks, not sure how much longer I'll keep trying or if I just get sick of it and stop.

if you walk away for a week or so -- you can generally pass after a few more tries --

i just went and looked at the level you are on, and it's actually pretty similar to what level 415 is ---

Cure the Blues 03 September 2013 03:20 AM

I find I don't mind the energy mechanic in these games that much. I play Puzzle and Dragons and honestly, I think I'd burn out if I kept continuously playing. I've got such a backlog for gaming, reading and Netflix that I find doing something else and then switching back for a run through Puzzle and Dragons works quite nicely. Most of my current grousing is confined to getting a Thanatos and a Toytops during a Greco-Roman/Chinese Godfest. Although I guess I can't complain too much since I don't see anything to pull me away from using Isis as my go-to leader and Toytops' dual element resists will (eventually) be useful once I get the green guy leveled up enough.

Pinecone 03 September 2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lulu (Post 1765159)

Same here - I don't even get close enough to just buy a bonus to finish it.

CannonFodder 03 September 2013 01:54 PM

I got stuck on lvl 200 and something and got bored. I was able to walk away with no regrets.

Of course then I started playing WoW again...

Seaboe Muffinchucker 03 September 2013 02:30 PM

All of these games are designed to keep pushing you until you fail. I don't find that appealing.

Seaboe