snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Soapbox Derby (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Missouri Fair Clown Draws Criticism for Obama Mask (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=86710)

snopes 12 August 2013 02:00 AM

Missouri Fair Clown Draws Criticism for Obama Mask

A clown wearing a President Barack Obama mask appeared at a Missouri State Fair rodeo and the announcer asked spectators if they wanted to see "Obama run down by a bull."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...-mask-19932512

Auntie Witch 12 August 2013 02:43 AM

How disappointing, but not surprising. I can say, though, that when POTUS visited Warrensburg last month (just 30 miles away from Sedalia) he got a very warm and welcoming reception. There were a few protesters, but they were respectful. So at least not all of this part of Missouri acts that way.

mags 12 August 2013 02:39 PM

I'm a little relieved to see it seems to be a rodeo clown rather than a circus-type one. Otherwise I was worried I might have had some very negative past dealings with him on the internet. I don't generally have a problem with clowns, but the only one I know in Missouri would make one consider otherwise.

BrianB 12 August 2013 07:25 PM

Missouri State Fair Apologizes for 'Obama' Rodeo Clown

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/watercool...ma-Rodeo-Clown
Quote:

The Missouri State Fair Commission is apologizing for the actions of a rodeo clown who donned a Barack Obama mask during a performance at the fair in Sedalia.

Governor Jay Nixon, Lt. Governor Peter Kinder and U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill also weighed in with harsh criticism of the performance, during which the rodeo announcer asked the spectators if they wanted to see the president run down by a bull.
Brian

E. Q. Taft 12 August 2013 07:46 PM

It frustrates me in a strange way that I can't be certain how much of the cheering is caused by just plain racism, how much is objection to Obama's politics (and divide that between his actual politics, as opposed to what the propagandists say his politics are), how much is a sort of just general disgust with the government, and how much is just rodeo fans, presumably many under the influence of alcohol, being rowdy.

I lean towards a mixture of the first two with a dash of the last, but I wish I could know for sure how much race is a factor. (Of course, I suspect that many of the people who disapprove of Obama politically aren't consciously aware of the degree to which race may be involved.)

Mad Jay 14 August 2013 10:19 PM

Yes, by mocking the president for being black instead of mocking a generic black man, these people can hide their racism behind the veil of political commentary. Everyone knows that cheering blackface makes them look like an ass, but cheering blackface that looks like the President is a-ok.

GenYus234 14 August 2013 10:25 PM

It was not blackface, it was a rubber mask of Obama. While it could have been racially motivated, nothing about the getup automatically makes it racist anymore that it would be if a black rodeo clown had put on a George W Bush mask.

Mickey Blue 18 August 2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Jay (Post 1760434)
Yes, by mocking the president for being black instead of mocking a generic black man, these people can hide their racism behind the veil of political commentary. Everyone knows that cheering blackface makes them look like an ass, but cheering blackface that looks like the President is a-ok.

I have to agree with some of the other posters; while I do feel that some of the general anger at Obama is motivated by race (and as you said it's easier to say that he sucks for some random possibly fake reason rather than because he's black, much in the same way it's easier to say you don't like the gays cause of the bible rather than just 'cause they are gross') I don't think that's too likely in this case.

It was a mostly conservative event in a mostly conservative state skewering the president who is generally disliked if not hated by many/most conservatives.

I have no doubt some of the people there were racist, however I don't think that race was a strong motivator for this based on the article.

I think it's important to recognize when bigotry is being veiled by some other rational, I also think it's worth understanding that history and society creates different rules for different groups and justifiably so (for example, hanging a black mannequin in a tree vs. a white one), however I think it's important not to fall into the trap of feeling every overt criticism of Obama is motivated by bigotry.

Honestly if they'd done the same with any contemporary, liberal politician I suspect the reaction would be similar (for example if we could travel back in time and do so with Clinton.. Or heck you'd probably do ok doing so with Clinton now).

Ramblin' Dave 18 August 2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft (Post 1759759)

I lean towards a mixture of the first two with a dash of the last, but I wish I could know for sure how much race is a factor. (Of course, I suspect that many of the people who disapprove of Obama politically aren't consciously aware of the degree to which race may be involved.)

I wish I knew, too. But while I'm sure race is a factor, I also recall that Clinton was subjected to, if anything, even more contempt than Obama.

A Turtle Named Mack 18 August 2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave (Post 1761094)
I wish I knew, too. But while I'm sure race is a factor, I also recall that Clinton was subjected to, if anything, even more contempt than Obama.

[sarcasm]While there was never any ridicule directed toward the Bushes, Reagan, Ford, etc.[/sarcasm]

Amigone201 18 August 2013 03:30 PM

I would like to point this out. I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not, but it's worth considering:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...16195863_n.jpg

Singing in the Drizzle 18 August 2013 04:29 PM

I guess POTUS is protected from being made fun of because he has African blood and people rights to freedom of speech are taken way because it might be racist.

Chloe 18 August 2013 04:31 PM

Has he been charged with anything?

diddy 18 August 2013 04:32 PM

I dislike such photos since they pretty much demand you to make a comparison of events that have extremely low amount of context and makes it sound like Obama supporters are outraged over the mere appearance of someone wearing an Obama mask when that isn't really the case considering it was more than just wearing the mask that led to the firings and most of the outrage is being claimed by republicans.

I am willing to bet that if we actually compared the events in questions, we can find out that there are some significant differences (if any - and I bet there are) between the two events outside of "guy wearing a mask at a rodeo" which is what the picture wants us to see.

I simply see it as an outrage generator more than a comparison of anything. Very useless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe (Post 1761109)
Has he been charged with anything?

Not as far as I can tell (if there is an investigation it probably is more to do with the clown uttering "who wants to see Obama run over by a bull" than anything) and I think the point was that Obama and his cronies are so offended that they ordered an investigation and they can't take good clean humor like with Bush (the first Bush I should add) where nothing happened.

Chloe 18 August 2013 04:49 PM

PA, apparently: http://articles.philly.com/1994-08-1...na-clown-smile

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why Bush, and why in camouflage? Is the photo unconnected to the 1994 story?

ETA: is it GHW Bush?

diddy 18 August 2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe (Post 1761115)
ETA: is it GHW Bush?

It is GHW Bush from what I have seen about the picture on other forums. Still, it's not very accurate to compare two photos taken nearly twenty years apart and based on the photos alone probably don't accurately portray the events properly (in at least one of the comparison). But comparing events 20 years apart and say that they are equal in any way? Come on.

Mad Jay 18 August 2013 05:06 PM

I have a hard time believing that's Bush because for one, GW Bush didn't have that much white in his hair in 94. That dumy looks like Bush circa 2008, not 94. Here's a photo of GW Bush with his parents in 97
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Bush_1997.jpg

ETA: and why the camo gear? Was Bush associate with the armed forces in 94? My impression is that people assosciate Bush with military gear after 9/11 not before

Ramblin' Dave 18 August 2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack (Post 1761095)
[sarcasm]While there was never any ridicule directed toward the Bushes, Reagan, Ford, etc.[/sarcasm]

I'm too young to remember Ford, but I can honestly say I never saw the same combination of naked contempt and willingness to make stuff up (i.e. "Hillary shot Vincent Foster," "Obama was born in Kenya," etc.) directed at Reagan or either Bush. Sure, the left hated them just as much as the right hates Obama and the Clintons, but the criticism was at least mostly reality-based.

A Turtle Named Mack 18 August 2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyLockeout (Post 1761122)
It's supposed to be papa Bush, not jr.

It looks more like the W masks I have seen. The salt of the salt-and-pepper hair is over-accentuated, but it was not intended to be exact. I actually thought it was more likely that whoever labeled the photos got the first date wrong by a decade, a 2004 pic rather than 1994.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave (Post 1761121)
I'm too young to remember Ford, but I can honestly say I never saw the same combination of naked contempt and willingness to make stuff up (i.e. "Hillary shot Vincent Foster," "Obama was born in Kenya," etc.) directed at Reagan or either Bush. Sure, the left hated them just as much as the right hates Obama and the Clintons, but the criticism was at least mostly reality-based.

Bwahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahah hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahh ahahahhahahahha - *gasp, gasp* - hahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhah ahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhaha hahhahahahha, etc.

Chloe 18 August 2013 06:14 PM

Since that's so laughable, it should be easy to cite some of the off-the-wall criticism you had in mind.