snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Fun House (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Message From God Found Hidden Inside DNA Sequence (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=85578)

hambubba 18 May 2013 12:20 PM

Message From God Found Hidden Inside DNA Sequence

This is hitting the facebooks big time.

Quote:

In a little-explored section of non-coding DNA, a team of top geneticists discovered a 22-word snippet of ancient Aramaic in which God confirms his existence and his role in creating life on Earth.
You've had it now! Muhahahaha!

Link here.

the link on facebook doesn't have the stuff at the end. I'm unable to link to that here, but it was on a site called secretsofthefed.com.

Skeptic 18 May 2013 12:43 PM

I'd be interested to see how long it takes for people to start forwarding this, without realising that it is a fake.

Em 18 May 2013 12:46 PM

Do you have a stopwatch handy?

diddy 18 May 2013 12:58 PM

I think a stopwatch isn't going to be precise enough. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened already.

hambubba 18 May 2013 02:03 PM

Too late. I found it on facebook with links to two friends who had posted it.

Tootsie Plunkette 18 May 2013 03:01 PM

Just read the comments section. Better yet, don't.

jimmy101_again 19 May 2013 06:37 PM

I wonder how long of an English sentence, one that actually makes sense, can be written with just the letters A, T, G & C?

Nick Theodorakis 19 May 2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy101_again (Post 1737753)
I wonder how long of an English sentence, one that actually makes sense, can be written with just the letters A, T, G & C?

Do you mean using the letters "as is" or by allowing encoding (e.g., grouping them into 3 or 4 to get 64 or 256 characters)?

Nick

jimmy101_again 19 May 2013 07:09 PM

If you encode then you can write anything. Is the original cite talking about an encoded message? It seems a bit vague on exactly what was supposedly found. If it is un-encoded Aramaic then it would be unrecognizable to a casual viewer.

Quote:

"And instead of just telling us about natural selection, he left a hidden signature that we could find 200,000 years later when we invented the right technology. It makes total sense really.
After that long, and given that it is a non-coding region, it is likely that the sequence would have drifted and people would have misspellings. So perhaps you can simultaneously prove both the existence of God and the validity of evolution.

Nick Theodorakis 19 May 2013 07:21 PM

Did we lose track that this was posted on a satire/humor site? Or are we just talking about hypotheticals?

Nick

jimmy101_again 20 May 2013 04:19 PM

Just hypothetical (at lest for me :D ).

The human genome is about 3,000,000,000 "letters" long. Even by random chance, and no encoding, English only, a single vowel in the language, ... there are probably a couple interesting sequences in someone's genome.

If you allow any human language and any encoding scheme I would think there are quite a few readable "passages" in a typical genome.

Don Enrico 21 May 2013 06:02 AM

God's true message?

GAT* A CAT!

*Sorry, there's no E.

ganzfeld 21 May 2013 08:02 AM

Although certain of its divine providence, scientists still don't know how to interpret the exact meaning of the phrase that was found:
Tag act gaga at cat caca gag tact. Ta.