snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Social Studies (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Drop ‘Redskins’ name? Time to take a stand. (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=84231)

snopes 07 February 2013 11:04 PM

Drop ‘Redskins’ name? Time to take a stand.

I am a passionate fan and season-ticket holder of the Washington professional football franchise. In more than 3-1/2 years as a columnist, I have not opined publicly on whether the team should drop the name ‘Redskins’ on grounds that it offends Native Americans.

It’s time to take a stand.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...4b5_story.html

E. Q. Taft 07 February 2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Native American advocates and their supporters have persuaded me that all Indian references have to go. That means a new logo, too.

I learned this first from my sister, who lives in Minneapolis, where Indian issues are more sensitive. She joined me several years ago at FedEx Field for a game against her team, the Vikings. She grimaced when the band marched out on the field wearing feather headdresses. “Oh, that is so offensive!” she said.
But she presumably wasn't offended by Vikings fans wearing horned helmets.

There is a kind of double standard about these things - though, maybe there should be; Vikings were never really an oppressed minority. (Though ironically, the ones who made it to the Americas were probably driven out or killed off by Indians....:))

However, while I am not convinced that all use of Native American names and iconography by sports franchises and schools is inherently offensive -- Redskins? Really? That's a term that was intended to be derogatory and dehumanizing to start with. And the team plays in our nation's capital, or at least is named for it. No, it's definitely well past time to do away with it.

I do hope they come up with a better name than the Nationals....

DrRocket 07 February 2013 11:45 PM

Yes. It's time to retire that name. Long past time.

It's hugely offensive.

It's as bad as the "n" word, IMO.

ganzfeld 08 February 2013 12:17 AM

As for a better new name, no one is currently using the "Washington Bullets" so they can use that one. Sorry, I'll get it... :fish: Thank you

crocoduck_hunter 08 February 2013 12:45 AM

I was going to suggest renaming the team the Potato Skins...

ganzfeld 08 February 2013 12:59 AM

Well, if they want to keep the Skins nickname then maybe they should go with the Pigskins.

Nick Theodorakis 08 February 2013 01:10 AM

They should just call themselves The Skins, and the Cowboys could be renamed as The Shirts, so they can continue the age-old Shirts/Skins rivalry.

Nick

snopes 08 February 2013 07:18 AM

The franchise was originally known as the Braves. They could revert to that name while retaining their logo.

erwins 08 February 2013 07:27 AM

They should drop the name and not use any Native American reference. Even if they thought they could come up with something that wasn't inherently offensive, it would still be coming from an organization that used to use "Redskins." They should let it go.

ganzfeld 08 February 2013 07:29 AM

They play in Landover so they could always be the "Landover Baptists".

Avril 09 February 2013 03:18 AM

Indeed, there would never be a sports team named The Crackers.

Not_Done_Living 09 February 2013 04:05 AM

change their logo to a Potatoe keep the name.

ganzfeld 09 February 2013 04:15 AM

Sure, then have Dan Quayle do the commentary.

Singing in the Drizzle 09 February 2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis (Post 1711406)
They should just call themselves The Skins, ...Nick

But that would affend the all epidemiologists.

erwins 09 February 2013 06:58 PM

Nope. It's not a case of "anything you pick will offend someone." This is an extremely pejorative word for a very large group of historically oppressed people. I know you were probably trying to make a joke, SitD, but making it out to be on a par with an obscure (and not downtrodden) group's unreasonable sensitivity is really off the mark, I think.

Avril 09 February 2013 07:50 PM

There aren't enough Native Americans to make as big of a noise as African Americans would, but it is no less offensive a term than N______s would be.

This point has already been made and I don't know why we have to keep making it.

LizardWizard 09 February 2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avril (Post 1711677)
Indeed, there would never be a sports team named The Crackers.

In addition to the team you allude to, there once was oddly enough, a Negro League team known as the Atlanta Black Crackers.

ganzfeld 10 February 2013 12:22 AM

What team did she allude to?

LizardWizard 10 February 2013 01:02 AM

I assume it was in reference to the Atlanta Crackers.

ganzfeld 10 February 2013 01:40 AM

Not to speak for Avril but I think she made it clear she agrees the name is offensive so I wonder why she would be alluding to a long forgotten minor league baseball team.