snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Language (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Strange names dot Texas map (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=77378)

snopes 27 November 2011 07:15 PM

Strange names dot Texas map

It was 1880 and the residents of a tiny Travis County community were ready to make the jump to the big leagues by getting a post office.

That required getting the town name approved. The locals applied, but federal postal officials rejected their town name. So they suggested another. It was turned down, too. So they tried a third name. It was denied.

After the sixth rejection, historians and folklorists say, residents sent a curt note to the U.S. Postmaster: “Let the post office be nameless and be damned!”
And thus the town of Nameless, Texas, was born.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ny-2291232.php

Gayle 27 November 2011 09:42 PM

If Fluvana (flu-VAN-uh) is strange, isn't Floydada? (Floy-DAY-duh) Garden City is not remotely a city, nor in anyway garden-like. Fink (near Oklahoma) is better than Jot 'em Down in my book. And there's the fact that Llano is pronounced LAN-oh instead of YAH-no and Lamesa is LUH-meesa, not LAH-maysuh, but Mexia is not MEX-ia, but muh-HAY-uh. Manchaca, however, is MAN-chak.

Fatman 29 November 2011 01:37 AM

Two that I have lived near quickly come to mind.

Cut and Shoot.

Gun Barrel City

snapdragonfly 01 December 2011 12:35 PM

Arkansas doesn't have as many towns as Texas and so not as many odd ones. But the odd ones are pretty notable.

My favorite is Toadsuck. But you could choose from Greasy Corner, Hogjaw, Hogwallow, Pickles Gap, Gooberstown, Hicksville, Yellville, Gasville, Possum Grape, Smackover, Blue Ball, Weiner, Hooker, Fannie, Bald Knob, Beaver (clearly we are in the Bible belt here, :lol: all this repressed sexuality) or Stumptoe. For some reason, Bodcaw cracks me up. "Ah'm from Bodcaw."

There is a Delight, though.

RichardM 02 December 2011 05:05 PM

And we have the second largest Paris in the world. :)

Buckle Up 02 December 2011 05:07 PM

We have a Loving, and a Milan, and lots of cities no one can spell, but nothing beats Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.

jayjaybear 03 December 2011 03:48 PM

There's a Blue Ball, PA, too. In fact, to get from Blue Ball to Paradise, you have to go through Intercourse.

(No, not really...they're not really laid out that way. It just makes a good line.)

Starla 03 December 2011 03:58 PM

Texas also has Starrville, which is one of my favorites. :D

Not_Done_Living 04 December 2011 03:21 AM

Just north of my home town (Lower Island Cove, NL) is Dildo, NL -- and just south is Hearts Content.

There is also Old Perlican -- which actually means Old Pelican but it was written how it sounded when they said it.

damian 04 December 2011 04:17 AM

In Australia, we have a Blow Hard and Come By Chance. There is also Packenham, Iron Knobs, Upper Swan, and Emu Bottom.

JFC 05 December 2011 03:04 AM

Texas Native, and we do have a lot of odd named towns, but my favorite is "Truth or Consequences" in New Mexico (and now near the new Virgin Spaceport :-D ).

snopes 17 December 2011 07:40 PM

Myths swirl around legendary Judge Roy Bean of Langtry

Quote:

According to myth, Bean is supposed to have named the community Langtry in honor of British actress Lily Langtry, a person he admired but had never met. The town was actually named for a railroad engineer and foreman named George Langtry, who supervised Chinese laborers constructing the line.
http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2011...e-roy-bean-of/

Graham2001 16 February 2012 06:19 AM

One thing I've always wondered about, is there really a Damfino Street in Houston?

Mad Jay 16 February 2012 12:46 PM

Maryland has a town named North East. It is in the North East part of MD, very close to DE and PA border, which makes sense. However, there is a bigger city in MD called Elkton that is east of North East, North East is not really the North East.

Also, the directions are funny. If you are travelling on I-95 (which is the biggest highway through the area), you go South on North East Rd to go North East :lol:

ETA: Ooh Ooh. In my town, there is a road called Temporary Rd. I am guessing the road was never meant to be there in the initial plans. They built that road for construction vehicles and then plans changed and they made it into an actual road and never renamed it. That road is still a bit problematic because it has a stop sign at the end that gets backed up everyday. They should really put a 3 way stop at that intersection or a traffic signal. It's almost like no one cares about that road.

mouse goddess 16 February 2012 03:43 PM

snapdragonfly:
Your Bodcaw is how I feel about Tomball....there's just a certain way to say Tom-ball, that's unique.

Lainie 16 February 2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Jay (Post 1593606)
Maryland has a town named North East. It is in the North East part of MD, very close to DE and PA border, which makes sense. However, there is a bigger city in MD called Elkton that is east of North East, North East is not really the North East.

North East, Pennsylania is in northwestern Pennsylvania. It's named for its location within Erie County.

Gayle 16 February 2012 04:41 PM

"It's BURNet, durn it, can'tcha learn it?"

musicgeek 16 February 2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayjaybear (Post 1564564)
There's a Blue Ball, PA, too. In fact, to get from Blue Ball to Paradise, you have to go through Intercourse.

(No, not really...they're not really laid out that way. It just makes a good line.)

They're close, though. And if you stop short of Intercourse (and make a right turn), you can wind up at Bird In Hand.

(Unfortunately, Climax is on the other side of Harrisburg, so it's tougher to work that one into the joke.)

GenYus234 16 February 2012 05:03 PM

We have Hell. Actually, we have a hell of a lot of hells in Arizona.

But we are also quite musical with both an Organ Pipe park and Tuba City.

ETA: I always forget Tombstone because it seems so well known.

Brad from Georgia 16 February 2012 05:33 PM

We have a Lime Sink, an Ideal, a Santa Claus, a Plum Nelly (It's "Plum out o' Tennesee an' nelly out o' Jawjah"), a Dacula and a Dahlonega (both of which are regularly mispronounced by tourists), a Ball Ground, a Frogtown, a Fort Mudge, a Climax and a Cumming, a Coal Mountain with no trace of coal anywhere about, a Yankeetown (it is now known as Waycross, however), a Yonah Mountain (folks generally ask, "What would I do with it?"), a Talking Rock (it doesn't), and a few other places.

We have some doozies as far as pronunciation goes: Taliaferro is pronounced "Tolliver," Beaulieu is usually "Booley" or "Byooley" or "Bewley" (you want to hear a dull argument, get a Booley guy and a Byooley guy together) and there used to be a Beaufort Parkway which was pronounced "Buford," but there's also a Buford town, and I think the spelling of the road has changed, too. In Mountain City there used to be a summer camp for kids called Camp Cumbegay, but I think it's out of business now.