snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Inboxer Rebellion (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   All overseas mail is being delayed by a month (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=69239)

snopes 04 January 2011 07:15 AM

All overseas mail is being delayed by a month

Comment: Do you have any reliable information on the following:

"Since it seems every package sent to the USA is being left in a shed
somewhere for a month to see if it explodes, do not expect any reasonable
postal service for a while."

This is being widely circulated, but I can not find anything online to
confirm it. Notice on USPS site only cites temporary suspension of
acceptance of parcels from Yemen. I saw a notice elsewhere that expanded
that to Somalia, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that incoming
parcels to the U.S., either by air or by surface (ship) from other
countries were being "banned" or quarantined pending "explosions".

Aud 1 04 January 2011 02:34 PM

Last month I ordered two CDs at the same time from sellers on Amazon. The one from the UK arrived within a week and the one from Tennessee took a week longer. Maybe this is only fo bigger packages. :)

Not_Done_Living 04 January 2011 04:52 PM

A friend of mine bought me the XBOX Kinect Zumba game (on a 2 for $49.00 special) in Michigan.

He dropped it off at the post office to mail it to me and they told him it would be a 3-4 week delivery to ship it to Toronto due to Customs wait. I could WALK there and back in that amount of time.

AnglRdr 04 January 2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

every package sent to the USA is being left in a shed
That's a big-ass shed.

Der Induktionator 04 January 2011 05:32 PM

I don't think this is particularly earth shattering news, USPS to and from the US has never been particularly quick. If we send anything back and forth, we generally figure about 2 weeks so if it arrives quicker it's a pleasant surprise, but don't count on it. We don't start worrying until about 4 weeks.

Typical with an urban legend it needs to have enough truth to be believable. The USPS isn't fast, but I really don't think it is intentional.

That said, we've been pleasantly surprised with the timely delivery of Christmas and birthday presents this last few weeks in both directions, so they certainly aren't leaving our gifts around for a month waiting for them to explode.

They might store packages in some big warehouses somewhere during the various sorting steps, but not in a shed. The word 'shed' always brings to mind some ratty little wood building badly in need of being torn down.

AnglRdr 04 January 2011 05:36 PM

USPS within the states is pretty fast. Perhaps it's other countries' mail systems that are holding things up, making USPS look bad.

The enemy, in other words :p

UrbanLegends101 04 January 2011 06:46 PM

One minor point. Those packages shipped from Yemen were not mailed. They were sent via courier services, FedEx and UPS, not via the Yemeni postal service.

Since the international mailstream is not exactly well known for speed, I am not sure how anyone shipping a parcel bomb via the postal services could time it to explode at any given location.

With that said, don't bet on the courier services to always be overwhelmingly fast. Last month, we sent a FedEx document pack from Kuwait to Ghana, given to FedEx on December 20 and it wasn't even scheduled to be delivered before Dec 29. I think it was actually delivered on the 3rd. Granted the holiday season punches holes in the delivery schedule, still, it should have gone faster.

UrbanLegends101 05 January 2011 11:34 AM

APO/FPO mail is handled as a combination of the USPS and DOD shipping, and I've received box mail on the fourth day from mailing. Generally a combination of the package being shipped from the greater NYC area and making a good connection between Long Island and Kuwait.

I've seen six days from the greater DC area to Kuwait, as well, for box mail.

Those are the best times, and usually most mail takes a few days longer, much longer if it goes to Poland via the APO system. I got a newspaper mailing that apparently vacationed in Poland, based on the date of the weekly publication and its final arrival date. I think NIXIE mail isn't processed as timely as incoming mail.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie 05 January 2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living (Post 1381473)
A friend of mine bought me the XBOX Kinect Zumba game (on a 2 for $49.00 special) in Michigan.

He dropped it off at the post office to mail it to me and they told him it would be a 3-4 week delivery to ship it to Toronto due to Customs wait. I could WALK there and back in that amount of time.

My brother used to work for a company based in Canada. The customs wait between the US and Canada was known to be bad - bad enough that if they needed something to get to Ottawa quicker, they would ship it to their subsidiary in England and have them ship it to Canada.

Lainie 05 January 2011 05:58 PM

So if I'm a terrorist, I just need to make sure that my package will explode sometime after that month is over, right?

mela681 05 January 2011 06:07 PM

Well, I've been waiting on a CD from Ireland that was supposed to have shipped December 18. Maybe I'll get it next week :lol: The excuse I heard was that the weather has been really bad and that, along with the holidays, has slowed mail service down.

DawnStorm 05 January 2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1382285)
So if I'm a terrorist, I just need to make sure that my package will explode sometime after that month is over, right?

:lol:
Only if the warehouse is cleaned out at the end of each month. :p

Cyrano 12 January 2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mela681 (Post 1382292)
The excuse I heard was that the weather has been really bad and that, along with the holidays, has slowed mail service down.

The excuse is right. Over the holidays, several important airports (Heathrow, Frankfurt, etc.) have been closed, causing important delays on parcel service.

Mrs. Cyrano's usual UPS delivery man (who delivers an average of one container a day - it's a small town, here) said he had nothing for days, then suddenly got an avalanche of 12 containers as soon as the weather cleared. As a consquence, the distribution system sort of collapsed.

BrianB 14 January 2011 10:10 AM

Just an anecdote

Well, I ordered two CDs from Japan on the 6th, received an email on the 10th that they had been shipped (the shipping receipt said January 8 :confused:), and received them yesterday (the 13th). Of the the four shipping methods they had I picked the third fastest (regular air mail) that promised 4 to 12 days. So, no month-long hold for me. ;)
Brian

jw 14 January 2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mela681 (Post 1382292)
Well, I've been waiting on a CD from Ireland that was supposed to have shipped December 18. Maybe I'll get it next week :lol: The excuse I heard was that the weather has been really bad and that, along with the holidays, has slowed mail service down.

'fraid it's true. December was a sustained whiteout here and we are very badly prepared for such continuous, harsh winter weather. Freight and transport took major hits. Also, from about 20th December, we shut down almost completely for a two week holiday. Most businesses were not back in work until the 4th of January.

kitap 14 January 2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianB (Post 1389000)
Well, I ordered two CDs from Japan on the 6th, received an email on the 10th that they had been shipped (the shipping receipt said January 8 :confused:), and received them yesterday (the 13th). Of the the four shipping methods they had I picked the third fastest (regular air mail) that promised 4 to 12 days. So, no month-long hold for me. ;)
Brian

This just means you're part of the Conspiracy somehow. :eek:

Or else you're in the government's record books as being Highly Above Suspicion.

MooseMacD 14 January 2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglRdr (Post 1381483)
That's a big-ass shed.

Maybe Arthur Jackson has a shed they could borrow...
:fish:

crocoduck_hunter 15 January 2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1382285)

No, it means that timed fuses are for chumps.