snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Spook Central (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Gang stalking (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=65335)

lord_feldon 22 September 2010 04:39 AM

Gang stalking

I saw a mention of something called "gang stalking" on a less reputable forum. Apparently it means that some malicious entity contacts everyone you know or will possibly ever know and tells them to ostracize and/or harass and intimidate you. Naturally, they all follow orders and don't let in on the operation.

http://www.gangstalkingworld.com/

Quote:

Gang Stalking is a systemic form of control, which seeks to destroy every aspect of a Targeted Individuals life. Once a target is flagged a notification is sent out to the community at large, and the target is followed around 24/7 by the various communities that they are in.

The community notifications will go out to various places. Apartment rentals, future employers, stores and communities where the target visits, will be notified. Doctors offices, fire departments, police, etc. A covert investigation might also be opened, and electronic, means used by the civilian spies/snitches as part of the overt and covert monitoring and surveillance process.

htonl 22 September 2010 09:13 AM

This is basically the exact definition of paranoia, right?

marrya 22 September 2010 10:10 AM

Paint me naive, but there must only be a small subset of individuals with whom this could be efffective. For example, if my own files were tagged "violent individual, only approach in twos or more" I know that my GP would be questioning it, sor starters.I don't believe that we yet live in a world where some 'entity' could contact everyone I know and make them believe that I'd flipped my lid and must therefore be watched and reported on 24/7 without SOMEONE saying something directly to me about it, or querying it with authorities sufficiently to raise questions about the origin of the flagging/notification.

Fear mongering much?

Urban legend in the making??

Eddylizard 22 September 2010 10:34 AM

That bastard lying consultant at the hospital told me it was a blood test. Now I know the truth, they microchipped me! :eek: That letter I got containing the test results sure threw me off the scent until I read this.

Photo Bob 22 September 2010 02:14 PM

There goes that Eddy off on another of his rants. They told me to watch out for him.

Photo ":fish:" Bob

Eddylizard 22 September 2010 02:42 PM

And you're watching me now. I bet you know I drove mum down to the clinic an hour ago and are compiling a report for the relevant authorities to investigate. :)

Photo Bob 22 September 2010 03:35 PM

No. The GPS is down right now. Err, I mean how would I know such a thing?

You are so paranoid.

By the way is that a new shirt? I don't think I've seen it before.:D

GenYus234 22 September 2010 03:54 PM

I watched a documentary on this a few years ago. It seems that Ed Harris initiated a gang stalking against Jim Carrey.

Wild Redhead 22 September 2010 03:54 PM

I googled this but didn't find any sources I would consider reputable. I would say if it is something that happens it is only in 'gang neighborhoods' where the resident gang has a hold over everyone in their territory. I would make a guess that a gang would use these techniques is they wanted to take over a neighborhood to add it to their territory.

Lainie 22 September 2010 04:02 PM

I don't think the OP link is using "gang" in the sense of an organized street gang.

GenYus234 22 September 2010 04:12 PM

The OP just sounds like a modern form of gaslighting with the addition of secret monitoring.

Wild Redhead 22 September 2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lainie (Post 1312422)
I don't think the OP link is using "gang" in the sense of an organized street gang.

I can't think of any way to organize complete communities to stalk an individual unless they are members of some type of group, club or gang. I should have been more clear how I came to the 'street gang' conclusion.

fitz1980 22 September 2010 04:24 PM

It has happened before. Scientology has been known to use such tactics on people who the church had issues with. But you generally need a hoard of religious zealots to actually have enough people willing to put enough time into harassing a person for such things.

Critterbites 22 September 2010 05:33 PM

"Are you being electronically harassed? Hearing voices? Being burnt or tortured in your home remotely?" From their video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mg2R...layer_embedded

The URL gangstalkingworld.com was first registered in 2006, so it's not a new phenomenon.

IMO there is little or nothing there based in reality.

Lainie 22 September 2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Redhead (Post 1312434)
I can't think of any way to organize complete communities to stalk an individual unless they are members of some type of group, club or gang. I should have been more clear how I came to the 'street gang' conclusion.

I don't believe that what the OP describes actually exists -- it sounds like paranoia to me. But if it did, an organized group conducting such activities woulnd't have to be a street gang. It could be a book club, or just a group of neighbors -- it just has to be an organized group.

And frankly, I think a street gang that didn't like you would be more likely to shoot you or beat you up than to go to all the trouble of "gang stalking" you.

Shnoops 23 September 2010 04:30 PM

Eh. Welcome to my world.

SplishFish 24 September 2010 05:27 PM

Sounds like the exact premise of the short-lived TV series Nowhere Man.
From IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112104/
Quote:

Bruce Greenwood stars as documentary photographer Thomas Veil who, in the course of one evening, seemingly has his whole existence erased, in the compelling one-hour drama Nowhere Man. It appears as if some mysterious and powerful entity has coerced Veil's family and friends into cooperating in a clandestine plan to annul every trace of him.

redspider 25 September 2010 03:40 AM

Yes, unless you're 13 or a Scientologist, I can't see how this would work.

If someone came up to me and told me to ignore xyz then I'd just shrug and ignore them.

In order to coerce/persuade your family/freinds into a certain action there has to be a percieved reward.