snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Fauxtography (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Southwest Arizona ceded to Mexico (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=61431)

Jenn 16 June 2010 04:57 PM

Southwest Arizona ceded to Mexico
 
Comment: I received this by email yesterday. Is this true?

These signs went up a couple weeks ago all along the southern side of I-8
between Casa Grande and Gila Bend. This is 80 miles north of the Mexican
border and its now off limits to American citizens!!

Mexican Drug cartels now control large areas of Southern Arizona according to
the Pinal County Sheriff. Where is Congress and DHS in this new Mexican-
American war that we seem to be losing?

ARMED TROOPS TO THE ARIZONA BORDER NOW! OR WE CAN DO THE ARMED
MINUTEMAN THING. Either way this must be and it will be dealt with by
Americans!

Obama giving Southwest back to Mexico…

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/g...bordersign.jpg

This is a real sign here in AZ just off I-8. No more camping south of I-8. So,
our government has surrendered and ceded part of Arizona to the smugglers
and cartels of Mexico?

What do you think would happen if signs like this were to be found back East?
But this is just backwater, flyover AZ so it doesn’t count to the media and
Congress, I guess. Folks, this nation better wake up and pay attention. This
is only the beginning of what you can expect in YOUR backyards.This is not
an exaggeration: I stopped hiking some of my favorite mountains and canyons
because of the smuggling dangers. Who wants to carry more guns and ammo
than water in order to survive in the Arizona desert? That is what it has
become. Maybe your state is next?

GenYus234 16 June 2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn (Post 1239628)
This is 80 miles north of the Mexican
border and its now off limits to American citizens!!

Reading comprehension - FAIL!

AnglRdr 16 June 2010 05:29 PM

Oh by all means feel free to do some camping there, but don't be shocked if you're rolled by a coyote.

Dr. Dave 16 June 2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenYus234 (Post 1239633)
Reading comprehension - FAIL!

Sure, it is reading comprehension fail beacause the sign says nothing about the land being no longer part of the USA.

But looking at the writer's side, I would be quite taken aback if there as a signs warning that no one travel in a part of my state and I also thought no one was doing anything about the issue.

Ryda Wong, EBfCo. 16 June 2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Dave (Post 1239673)
But looking at the writer's side, I would be quite taken aback if there as a signs warning that no one travel in a part of my state and I also thought no one was doing anything about the issue.

Why? We're recommended and/or ordered not to go on certain lands at certain times of the year for various reasons (bird nesting, bear season, cougar population issues, etc.)

Troodon 16 June 2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. (Post 1239692)
Why? We're recommended and/or ordered not to go on certain lands at certain times of the year for various reasons (bird nesting, bear season, cougar population issues, etc.)

It's a different matter when you're being turned away because the land is overrun by hostile, armed foreigners.

AnglRdr 16 June 2010 05:58 PM

The sign doesn't say anything about foreigners.

musicgeek 16 June 2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Dave (Post 1239673)
But looking at the writer's side, I would be quite taken aback if there was a sign warning that no one travel in a part of my state and I also thought no one was doing anything about the issue.

To be fair, the sign does say to call 911 if suspicious activity is noted, so it's not as if the government is saying "not our problem - you're on your own."

Jenn 16 June 2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglRdr (Post 1239701)
The sign doesn't say anything about foreigners.

Psht! There's no way that Americans would be armed criminals! Why do you hate America, AnglRdr?

AnglRdr 16 June 2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn (Post 1239705)
Psht! There's no way that Americans would be armed criminals! Why do you hate America, AnglRdr?

I hate America because of the Perpetually Outraged Class of Americans.

Those people are ruining everything.

Gayle 16 June 2010 06:08 PM

When they're smuggling people across, the armed ones are usually US citizens.

UEL 16 June 2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglRdr (Post 1239707)
I hate America because of the Perpetually Outraged Class of Americans.

Those people are ruining everything.

It's all part of the "Offense Industrial Complex". There's money to be made by fomenting the offense in others.

Dr. Dave 16 June 2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. (Post 1239692)
Why? We're recommended and/or ordered not to go on certain lands at certain times of the year for various reasons (bird nesting, bear season, cougar population issues, etc.)

Those things are temproary, natural, and to many an acceptable part of living near a wooded, mountainous, or undeveloped area.

This is criminal activity and violence, and if I thought that the powers that be were not doing anything, or not doing enough to reduce and prevent it, I would be outraged too.

Alternately, if I thought that there was a problem and the federal government was acting as if it was not such a big deal of a problem, if I saw a sign that showed that the feds knew it was in fact a problem, I would spread to word to advocate for my position.


Quote:

Originally Posted by musicgeek (Post 1239704)
To be fair, the sign does say to call 911 if suspicious activity is noted, so it's not as if the government is saying "not our problem - you're on your own."

Sure, fair enough.

Also, the claim that we've ceded this territory to Mexicao is of course ridiculous. But I can see where a resident would feel like the sign is saying "we've resigned ourselves to this area being a lawless and uncontrolable region. Sorry folks."

AnglRdr 16 June 2010 06:17 PM

*snerk*
and
*sob*

It's election campaign season here, and the various candidates keep yelling about how they're mad as hell at Washington!

Everybody's so damn angry all of the time that they don't realize they are raving lunatics.

Simply Madeline 16 June 2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

If you see suspicious activity, do not confront! Move away and call 911.
It sounds to me like the signs are aimed at the "minutemen" and others who may be tempted to start some sort of vigilante mob.

Wild Redhead 16 June 2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troodon (Post 1239698)
It's a different matter when you're being turned away because the land is overrun by hostile, armed foreigners.

You bet it is. Of course some people are going to say it "doesn't say anything about foreigners" on it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's the illegal immigrants and legal citizens and they are all involved in criminal activity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglRdr (Post 1239701)
The sign doesn't say anything about foreigners.

Do you really need to have all the same old links posted for you about who the majority of the people are that are involved in the criminal activity?

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/stat...s/arizona.html

Quote:

Drug smuggling and transportation are dominated by major Mexican trafficking organizations.
I can look up information on human trafficking from Mexico if you need me to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Dave (Post 1239714)
This is criminal activity and violence, and if I thought that the powers that be were not doing anything, or not doing enough to reduce and prevent it, I would be outraged too.

Alternately, if I thought that there was a problem and the federal government was acting as if it was not such a big deal of a problem, if I saw a sign that showed that the feds knew it was in fact a problem, I would spread to word to advocate for my position.

Our government has been acting like it's no big deal for far too long. They still are. We have dangerous people coming to this country through our unprotected Mexican border as it is the easiest access. Let's face it. The cartels and criminals run much of the country according to what is appearing on the news.

GenYus234 16 June 2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Redhead (Post 1239737)
Our government has been acting like it's no big deal for far too long. They still are. We have dangerous people coming to this country through our unprotected Mexican border as it is the easiest access. Let's face it. The cartels and criminals run much of the country according to what is appearing on the news.

Really? Because the DEA has arrested over 2,200 people and siezed over 74 tons of drugs as part of a 22 month operation targeting drug smuggling including in the southwest.

eeriespawnsybil 16 June 2010 06:56 PM

WR , are you equally concerned with the Americans that are selling the guns to the Mexicans , buying the drugs from them, taking advantage of cheap labor , forcing them into the sex trade , etc ? There wouldn't be supply if there were no demand.

Most of the people (not lumping Wild Redhead in here) that I know that are all about immigration reform are also the same people who go beserk at the mere mention of raising taxes or having to pay a nickle more for a cup of coffee. I wonder how they will feel when they see the price of tomatoes after the pickers aren't paid under the table anymore.

AnglRdr 16 June 2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Redhead (Post 1239737)
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's the illegal immigrants and legal citizens and they are all involved in criminal activity.

I don't understand this sentence. Aren't you saying here that everybody is involved with criminal activity?

Quote:

Do you really need to have all the same old links posted for you about who the majority of the people are that are involved in the criminal activity?
Did the sign say foreigners, WR?

I do not think that link says what you think it says.

Quote:

I can look up information on human trafficking from Mexico if you need me to.
I think you're arguing a strawman.

Quote:

Our government has been acting like it's no big deal for far too long.
Like what's no big deal?

Quote:

They still are. We have dangerous people coming to this country through our unprotected Mexican border as it is the easiest access. Let's face it. The cartels and criminals run much of the country according to what is appearing on the news.
Run much of what country? And we have some pretty dangerous people who are native-born as well.

How have you been affected by the criminal activity of illegal immigrants?

Ryda Wong, EBfCo. 16 June 2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Dave (Post 1239714)
This is criminal activity and violence, and if I thought that the powers that be were not doing anything, or not doing enough to reduce and prevent it, I would be outraged too.

I'm WAY more worried about violence rates in the cities and rates of DV and rates of rape. WAY more worried. Compared to that, these problems are just a walk in the park.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.