snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Language (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   8 Racist Words You Use Every Day (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=41332)

Altered Statesman 19 January 2009 11:35 PM

8 Racist Words You Use Every Day

Quote:

Have you ever worried that, no matter how hard you try, you'll just never be racist enough? Well, you're in luck. As it turns out, you've been unconsciously using racial slurs your entire life! Slurs like...
http://www.cracked.com/article_16967...every-day.html

As with all cracked articles, its NSFA (not safe for anyone hehe) so don't open if your sensitive. snopes even gets a mention, which is happeneing more and more on cracked.com.

Altered Statesman 19 January 2009 11:35 PM

I don't know how 'true' they are, but at least they got number one right :)

Beachlife! 19 January 2009 11:42 PM

They didn't get this right:
Quote:

"In World of WarCraft, I play a level 60 barbarian."
There aren't barbarians in Wow.

CannonFodder 20 January 2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 857672)
They didn't get this right:

There aren't barbarians in Wow.

I beg to differ. While there may be no barbarian class, I can tell you from first hand experience that there are in fact barbarians in WoW. I quite enjoy eating a partially cooked turkey leg while wrapped in furs and playing an instance. :lol:

Altered Statesman 20 January 2009 02:01 AM

Thats how I play all my xbox games :)

Anyte 20 January 2009 02:18 AM

I don't use any of those words "every day." In fact, I'd say I use them seldom.

diddy 20 January 2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyte (Post 857851)
I don't use any of those words "every day." In fact, I'd say I use them seldom.

I rarely use those words too. We all know that Number one is not correct, so how many others are wrong too. A few of them just don't make sense.

Beejtronic 20 January 2009 02:33 AM

My Classics prof mentioned the "bar bar" one in class the other day. This has no bearing on whether it's true or not, of course.

Kallah 20 January 2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy (Post 857860)
I rarely use those words too. We all know that Number one is not correct, so how many others are wrong too. A few of them just don't make sense.

We all do know that #1 is not correct, including the writers of the article who included it to debunk it. They even linked to snopes! I would hardly consider that an indication that their other information is unreliable.

kia 20 January 2009 02:56 AM

Hmmm. I definitely don't use those words every day. I think they got their Blizzard games mixed up; Barbarians are indeed not in World of Warcraft but they are a class in Diablo 2 (and the upcoming Diablo 3).

MapleLeaf 20 January 2009 03:25 AM

This Jew is going to continue to say "Hip hip hooray".

Amigone201 20 January 2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf (Post 857931)
This Jew is going to continue to say "Hip hip hooray".

Why do you hate the Jewish people so? Is it because you believe in that racist Darwinism crap?

:fish:

Richard W 20 January 2009 10:01 AM

I don't believe #6 - I can't find anything that actually contradicts it in "reliable dictionaries" (none of mine list "hip hip hooray" explicitly), but I'd expect to find something about it if it was true... I must admit I originally read it as dating from WWII and thought that was far too late, but if it's from 1819 then perhaps it's more plausible.

All the others are correct as far as I know (well, except #1) - I checked cannibal and the others are pretty much common knowledge - so it seems they have checked them. So perhaps #6 is also true.

Mr. Furious 20 January 2009 10:28 AM

Note on #2 - you don't "immigrate from" somewhere. It's emigrate, fools!

Andrew of Ware 20 January 2009 10:40 AM

I've just looked up hip hip in the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles and I agree with Richard that there is nothing sinister in the phrase. According to the dictionary it is first mentioned in Johnson's dictionary of 1752 - long before the German's used it as a cry to hunt Jews.

ETA: I have just looked up Hip! Hip! Hurrah! in Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable and it gives more detail.

Quote:

Hip! Hip! Hurrah! The old fanciful explanation of the origin of this cry is that 'hip' is a NOTARIKON, composed of the initials Hierosolyma est perdita and that when German knights headed a Jew-hunt in the Middle Ages, they ran shouting 'Hip! Hip!' as much to say Jerusalem is destroyed.'

'Hurrah' was similarly fancifully derived from Slavonic hu-jah ('to paradise'), so that Hip! Hip! Hurrah! would mean 'Jerusalem is lost to the infidel, and we are on the road to Paradise.'

Hip is actually of unknown origin, bur hurrah or hurray (or hooray) are alterations of huzza, itself said to by 17th century writers to be a sailors' cheer.
(Reference: Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, Millennium Edition, Cassell and Co, London, 2001, page 574)

So nothing racist here.

HighSierra Sherey 20 January 2009 12:56 PM

Go Vandals!

Can't vouch for the accuracy but I can state that regardless of ultimate etymology, it was vaguely embarassing attending a university where the athletic teams were known as the Vandals (University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho)... although not Germanic-looking logo... more Viking-ish...

Canuckistan 20 January 2009 01:55 PM

I'm sorry, I don't buy a lot of these. Just because some of these may have been racist centuries ago, doesn't mean they are now. The meanings of words change.

Andrew of Ware 20 January 2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighSierra Sherey (Post 858179)
Can't vouch for the accuracy but I can state that regardless of ultimate etymology, it was vaguely embarassing attending a university where the athletic teams were known as the Vandals (University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho)... although not Germanic-looking logo... more Viking-ish...

The Vandals were indeed a Germanic tribe who invaded the Roman Empire and caused such damage that their name is used for its modern meaning. However, there is no longer a Vandal tribe, having inter-married with other European peoples, and so it can hardly be called racist. The rugby league team I support is called the Widnes Vikings and I don't think anyone would call us racist.

Johnny Slick 20 January 2009 03:15 PM

Yeah, I'm not really sure about calling Vandals and barbarians "racist terms" either. Maybe they were racist when Jesus used them, that potty mouth, but nowadays? Not so much. Goth is a racist term as well by that definition because, well, at one point there was a Gothic tribe as well and that's where the term comes from...

OTOH, who doesn't know that "gyp" is racist? That one's pretty obvious, like accusing people of "welshing" on a bet. Or saying that a team really "Canadianed" it when they commit a lot of errors and eat ham in the middle of a game. We use that last one all the time here in Washington state and I for one think that it's got to stop.

Tarquin Farquart 20 January 2009 04:25 PM

No mention of pikey?