snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Food (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fast food rumors (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=357)

vanilla 31 January 2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiandmoi (Post 44654)
I was going to suggest Rally burger as an alternative, but I think the closest one to you would be in Tustin or Anaheim too.

http://www.checkers.com/index.html

If I crave the burgers, I go to In N' Out, but getting a cherry-limeade or the chedder cheese tater tots will just have to wait until the next time I visit Disneyland - if I remember! :(

MooseMacD 31 January 2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla (Post 44395)
It is possible that McD's tried offering Onion Rings in test markets at one point but they didn't do well enough to make it a permanent part of the menu.

And as for the UK offering Onion Rings. I think it is a regional thing too. My folks were travelling in upper Michigan and they stopped at a McD that also offered Brats with Sauerkraut on a bun. And I have heard that depending on the country your version of dipping sauce(i.e. ketchup) for your fries may vary. Some places I have heard that the ketchup is more like tomato paste.

Mmmm, actually onion rings are starting to sound pretty good right now. :)

I gotta agree with Vanilla Gorilla in that it's probably a regional thing. In Canada we had the McPizza for a few years (loved it - it was a small personal pizza) and on the east coast of Canada they used to do a McLobster (a sort of lobster salad on a bun). And I think McRibs were a summer-only thing, not a permanent menu item like I have heard they were in the southern US.

Troberg 31 January 2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

A big mac doesn't have tomatos on it though.
Extra or added, the end effect is the same. He wanted them to add a slice of tomato.

Quote:

AFAIK asking them to deduct something from the basic recipe doesn't cost anything here either (unless the rules/policy has changed.) I don't know about if you ask for extra whatever though.
It might be that they decided to teach him a lesson and made a creative interpretation of the rules. I for one fully support such an action, I'm tired of him annoying every fast food place with wierd special orders (typical order: Pizza X with extra cheese, fresh tomatoes, shrimp instead of muchrooms and whole pineapple rings instead of small pieces). I always suspect I get a sneeze pizza just for knowing him...

Eddylizard 31 January 2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla (Post 44395)
It is possible that McD's tried offering Onion Rings in test markets at one point but they didn't do well enough to make it a permanent part of the menu.

And as for the UK offering Onion Rings. I think it is a regional thing too. My folks were travelling in upper Michigan and they stopped at a McD that also offered Brats with Sauerkraut on a bun.

We have brats in most of our MacDonald's too. Except they don't come with sauerkraut and a bun, they come with their parents. :D

Vanilla Gorilla 31 January 2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddylizard (Post 45663)
We have brats in most of our MacDonald's too. Except they don't come with saurkraut and a bun, they come with their parents. :D

:D

Actually while in Germany we stopped at a McD's while driving between towns and my dad ordered a beer just to tell people that he bought a beer at McD's. :)

Whaler on the Moon 01 February 2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matches (Post 45243)
The last time I was in Germany (goodness nearly a decade ago) you could still buy deep fried apple pies, along with you McBeer, and and Grosse Mac, which was wonderful since the deep fried apple pie has been banned in the united states for about twenty years now.

Why were the pies banned?
We still have them here and beer too. And McRoyals. One has cheese and the other tomato, i think, it's been a while since i looked.

Eddylizard 01 February 2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whaler on the Moon (Post 46965)
Why were the pies banned?
We still have them here and beer too. And McRoyals. One has cheese and the other tomato, i think, it's been a while since i looked.

I think the pies were banned after a couple of high profile cases where people burned their mouths on the filling - not realising that the "hot apple pie" might actually be "hot."

Beachlife! 01 February 2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddylizard (Post 46983)
I think the pies were banned after a couple of high profile cases where people burned their mouths on the filling - not realising that the "hot apple pie" might actually be "hot."

They were never banned. They were replaced in most restraunts circa 1992. I do not doubt the hot filling might have had something to do with this.

For anyone that is interested this site tracks the places you can still buy the fried pie or something similar.

Eddylizard 01 February 2007 05:56 PM

Sorry I meant withdrawn rather than banned.

Whaler on the Moon 01 February 2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddylizard (Post 46983)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 46995)
They were never banned. They were replaced in most restraunts circa 1992. I do not doubt the hot filling might have had something to do with this.

For anyone that is interested this site tracks the places you can still buy the fried pie or something similar.

I see. Thank you.

rhiandmoi 01 February 2007 05:58 PM

IME the baked apple pies last longer in the "holding oven" than the fried ones did. I think this is probably the biggest reason for the change. IIRC the fried pies expired in 30 mins where the baked ones expire in 2 hours.

Rehcsif 01 February 2007 07:57 PM

When did BK switch to "fake" onion rings? I haven't had them for years, but I worked there in college, and they were definitely real back then. I distinctly remember biting into them, pulling out the onion with my teeth, eating it, then eating the breading (sometimes dipped in BBQ sauce).

This was circa 1991 though...

-Tim

matches 01 February 2007 09:12 PM

The Pie

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiandmoi (Post 47013)
IME the baked apple pies last longer in the "holding oven" than the fried ones did. I think this is probably the biggest reason for the change. IIRC the fried pies expired in 30 mins where the baked ones expire in 2 hours.

See we always pressumed it was some sort of health thing. Deep Fried pies seem so much worse for you than Baked Pies. Though I had often heard there was actually more fat in the baked pies than the deep fried pies, it was the image people had.

Either way, I recently found out Crown Fried Chicken in Newark carries deep fried apple pies. Popeyes chicken does too. Taco bell has something similar (an apple empenada) but they put cinnimon sugar on them and I feel that violates the spirit of the pie.

Glad to know they still have the deep fired pies in Germany, I'll be back there next summer.

SkyeWynters 01 February 2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivling (Post 44757)
McDonald's used to sell something close to an onion ring as a side ... they were just little pieces of deep-fried onion, not in a ring, called "onion nuggets" or something along those lines (google search turns up nothing). I can remember eating them there as a kid, along with the McPizza, shamrock shake and other items that seemed to have later dropped off the menu.

You can still get sharmrock shakes here (at least I could in IL, CA, WA, and MN) near St. Patrick's Day - I think that's the only time they have them. That's the ONLY reason I got to McD's :D

FloridaGirl 01 February 2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyeWynters (Post 47555)
You can still get sharmrock shakes here (at least I could in IL, CA, WA, and MN) near St. Patrick's Day - I think that's the only time they have them. That's the ONLY reason I got to McD's :D

You can get them here as well.

Gayle 01 February 2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckleupp (Post 44381)
No, no, no...haven't you guys heard this before? Ray Kroc's first beloved sweetheart was killed when a huge burlap sack full of onions fell on her and smothered her.

Ho, ho! You think you're being funny.

Years and years ago, when I was in college, I worked at a pizza restaurant. They owner had purchased a cooler from a 7-11 that was going out of business. He installed it in the kitchen. Picture it: eight glass doors that opened onto wire shelves. At the end, there was a standard cooler door that allowed you to go inside behind the shelves where the beer kegs were. On the shelves, we had the bottled beer, the wine bottles, the prepped salads, the salad dressings, various grated cheeses, a couple of five gallon buckets of iced tea, and the prepped pizza toppings: sliced pepperoni, chopped green bell peppers, sliced olives (green & black), diced onions, cooked ground beef, Italian sausage, chopped tomatoes, buckets and buckets of sauce.

One rule: NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT THE FULL 50LB BAG OF ONIONS ON THE SHELF POLE AT THE END OF THE ROW.

You know why? Because it throws off the balance and the shelves start rocking.

I was out front taking an order when I heard a crash of glass that seemed to go on for hours, like out of a cartoon. One explosion after another. I said "I think I'd better go take a look." (I was the poor HMFIC) On the floor were broken glass doors and piles of lettuce, beans, cheese, pizza toppings, broken beer and wine bottles, lettuce, and salad dressing-- which, if you've never tried to mop up is just a smaller version of the Exxon Valdez. Literally, the mess on the floor made a pile nearly a foot high.

That was almost as much fun to explain to the owner as the time I had to call the fire department and evacuate the restaurant.

MichiganGirl 02 February 2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amused (Post 44726)
It is an artery clogging extravaganza!

You take your fresh hot fries, add a good handful of cheese curds, and pour gravy on the whole thing, YUM-O!
It's a french thing.

cheese curds and Gravy on french fries? Yuck.

HazyCosmicJive 02 February 2007 04:59 AM

I just have to pipe in to plug the greatest fast food onion rings in the world: Mac's Steak In The Rough onion rings. Mac's Steak in the Rough is only in New Mexico, and their food in general is a heart attack waiting to happen, though delicious. The onion rings are no exception, but they're real, their breading is perfect, and they're just a joy to consume. I have them only twice a year when I visit my family in Albuquerque. In fact, I have an order of onion rings along with a regular Rough and a Taquita Tusum, which together constitute about 3,000 calories and zillions of grams of fat.

But oh, it's so good.

C'mon, Albuquerqueans, back me up here.

p.s. I got mayonnaise for free in Amsterdam, but I had to pay for ketchup.

Thebobo 02 February 2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehcsif (Post 47272)
When did BK switch to "fake" onion rings? I haven't had them for years, but I worked there in college, and they were definitely real back then. I distinctly remember biting into them, pulling out the onion with my teeth, eating it, then eating the breading (sometimes dipped in BBQ sauce).

This was circa 1991 though...

-Tim

I never remember BK having 'real' onion rings. I don't eat at BK much but when I do I always get their onion rings. Wether it is now,the 90's or the 80's I always recall the onion rings being the same.

monkster 02 February 2007 02:08 PM

Just to chime in, we still have deep fried apple pies in Australia, also our "regional" burger is the McOz which I hate and wish would go away because it replaced the McFeast which I loved so very very much.