snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Barack Obama Only 6.25% African (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=31558)

jimmyc123 11 June 2008 04:29 AM

Barack Obama Only 6.25% African

Another Obama is a Muslim meme -

"Barack Hussein Obama is not half black. If elected, he would be the first Arab-American President, not the first black President. Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side. While Barack Hussein Obama's father was from Kenya, his father's family was mainly Arabs. Barack Hussein Obama's father was only 12.5% African Negro and 87.5% Arab (his father's birth certificate even states he's Arab, not African Negro)."

http://www.arcadeathome.com/newsboy.....25%25_African

My main curiosity is regarding the birth certificate of Obama's father and what it says as that is a pretty blatant lie if not true. I have tried to find a source for this and cannot find anything. It appears to have been pulled out of thin air.

Troberg 11 June 2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

My main curiosity is regarding the birth certificate of Obama's father and what it says as that is a pretty blatant lie if not true.
My main curiosity is why this have any relevance at all. Does the matter of percentages of heritage have anything to do with his ability to be a president?

lord_feldon 11 June 2008 06:44 AM

Quote:

Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side.
Because the bigots really care about mathematics when they judge someone based on his or her skin color.

Tarquin Farquart 11 June 2008 07:54 AM

So he's mixed race. So what?

lord_feldon 11 June 2008 08:02 AM

Not just mixed race. Mixed race with a large amount of ARAB!!!!!1eleventy-one11! And he's been called black or half-black!!! And he hasn't corrected them!! He's a liar!!

songs78 11 June 2008 08:26 AM

It's not really a Muslim meme. Arabic is a language. There are many non Muslim Arabs in the middle east and Iranians don't even speak Arabic they speak Farsi and most Muslims are in South East Asia like Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia.

It's true that Obama is not really "black" that's part of his journey in his first book, if he is anything culturally he is Hawaiian.

Tarquin Farquart 11 June 2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lord_feldon (Post 642038)
Not just mixed race. Mixed race with a large amount of ARAB!!!!!1eleventy-one11! And he's been called black or half-black!!! And he hasn't corrected them!! He's a liar!!

I think when you're getting down to he is 6.25% something, it's taking things too far.

songs78 11 June 2008 08:56 AM

This is the original article.

Quote:

You mention my awareness of publishing unverifiable claims; while true, I have an even greater awareness of keeping my name from being published as the defendant in a lawsuit. I'm not ready to see myself posted on The Smoking Gun.
So the guy admits that his claims are unverifiable.

He is not really a journalist even though he might've been published in the New York Times. He is some tech support guy from Florida.

Natalie 11 June 2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songs78 (Post 642061)
This is the original article.

So the guy admits that his claims are unverifiable.

I'm really curious what federal law he is referring to, or thinks he is referring to. I wasn't aware of any US Code defining who belongs to any specific race. The Census, for one, has respondents self-define, and I would think if there was a relevant US Code it would be mentioned there.

A Turtle Named Mack 11 June 2008 02:23 PM

This quibbling reminds of what I heard said about Tiger Woods when he was calling his race 'Caublinasian' - he can say what he wants, but if he is pulled over at 2 a.m. in a Bimmer doing 130 by a Carolina state trooper, he's a black guy!

However, songs78 makes a great point, that culturally, he is more Hawaiian than anything. I would add that therefore whatever 'black culture' he has, was a conscious adoption of it, which sometimes leads to adopting a poor caricature of a culture, such as going to Highland Games or being 'Irish for a day on Mar. 17.

AnglRdr 11 June 2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalie (Post 642119)
I'm really curious what federal law he is referring to, or thinks he is referring to. I wasn't aware of any US Code defining who belongs to any specific race. The Census, for one, has respondents self-define, and I would think if there was a relevant US Code it would be mentioned there.

I've never seen "Arab" as a racial designation on any official form.

ATNM, I am curious about this statement you made:

Quote:

culturally, he is more Hawaiian than anything. I would add that therefore whatever 'black culture' he has, was a conscious adoption of it, which sometimes leads to adopting a poor caricature of a culture, such as going to Highland Games or being 'Irish for a day on Mar. 17.
He left Hawaii 29 years ago. As he is just shy of 47 years old, at what point would he stop being culturally Hawaiian and become culturally black?

jimmyc123 11 June 2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songs78 (Post 642047)
It's not really a Muslim meme. Arabic is a language. There are many non Muslim Arabs in the middle east and Iranians don't even speak Arabic they speak Farsi and most Muslims are in South East Asia like Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia.

It's true that Obama is not really "black" that's part of his journey in his first book, if he is anything culturally he is Hawaiian.

Understood. That shows the ignorance of this claim, but the point of the claim is clearly to paint Obama as a Muslim.

A Turtle Named Mack 11 June 2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglRdr (Post 642307)
I've never seen "Arab" as a racial designation on any official form.

ATNM, I am curious about this statement you made:

He left Hawaii 29 years ago. As he is just shy of 47 years old, at what point would he stop being culturally Hawaiian and become culturally black?

Well, I'll compare it to my own journey, since I just mentioned on the Letters thread that I was born in Michigan, but lived in Alabama through my childhood. My culture is really far more Michigan than it is Alabama. I got a dose of that 'confederate pride' stuff (not for the slavery part, but for the fierceness and dedication with which the 'War Between the States' was fought), but never bought into the 'lost cause' crap, etc. I always considered Wallace an embarrassment along with all the 'segregation forever' junk. My accent is usually far more Michigan than southern, though if I am in a rural area, I'll adopt a comfortable drawl to blend in a bit better.

Basically I am saying that a person's primary culture is what they wer raised with, as that is the set of influences that are most deeply ingrained. You learn to be disgusted with the things that disgust those that bring you up, and you learn to enjoy and love the things that were inspiring to those that brought you up. As you reach out to the wider world, you learn to value and relate to other cultures than what you got in your home, and you might adopt some of the practices, but they still do not come as naturally as the things you grow up with. of course, we are all constantly making and remaking our own personal cultures: from adopting new genres of art to learning new cuisines. But like the Americanized food in most Chinese and Mexican restaurants in the USA, we still tend to adapt the new things to the well-worn passages of the culture we grew up with.

AnglRdr 11 June 2008 03:39 PM

Obama once said his grandmother, who helped raised him, said she was afraid of black men.

I say this only to poke a hole in your theory that
Quote:

You learn to be disgusted with the things that disgust those that bring you up
While a person may learn to be disgusted with themselves, I don't think they are generally as high-functioning as Obama is.

liebeslied 11 June 2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyc123 (Post 641982)

"Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side. "

So he's Caucasian by plurality? All right, I'm voting for the middle-aged white guy.

llewtrah 11 June 2008 04:31 PM

I admit I am amazed the USA is so hung up over race and over percentages of mixed blood. It suggests slavery days when a white-to-the-eye person is found to be quarter black and suddenly shunned by society. IMNSHO, as long as race is such an issue that a few percent of genes become such a talking point, racial tension is never going to go away.

Anyhow, genes are shuffled up before being going into eggs or sperm so there's no way to be ceertain he is n% this and n% that. While he gets 50% of genes from each parent, those genes are derived from genes from their parents and the reshuffling could mean he gets 90% of maternal grandma's genes, 10% of maternal grandpa's genes, 60% paternal grandma's genes and 40% paternal grandpa's genes, totally messing up the simplistic calculations.

Silas Sparkhammer 11 June 2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liebeslied (Post 642382)
So he's Caucasian by plurality? All right, I'm voting for the middle-aged white guy.

He's Caucasian by an overwhelming majority, as Arabs are (in the classical trichotomy) Caucasians.

And, with grave apologies for Godwinizing, even the Nazis would have to approve of him, since, according to their calculations, he would be 93.75 per cent "Aryan." So, yep, we're voting for the (nicely suntanned) white guy, indeed!

Silas

Ali Infree 11 June 2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

llewtrah sez:I admit I am amazed the USA is so hung up over race and over percentages of mixed blood. It suggests slavery days when a white-to-the-eye person is found to be quarter black and suddenly shunned by society.
If there is any good news, all of this matters least of all to younger voters, according to surveys.

I was talking with a black colleague about this last week. Just the fact that race is not the critical factor for young voters is consolation that the years of work and struggle about civil rights and race may be making a difference.

That is not the whole difference, but as hard a nut as race has been, I still feel that Obama marks a historic shift.

Ali "at least by winning the nomination" Infree

A Turtle Named Mack 11 June 2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglRdr (Post 642374)
Obama once said his grandmother, who helped raised him, said she was afraid of black men.

I say this only to poke a hole in your theory that

While a person may learn to be disgusted with themselves, I don't think they are generally as high-functioning as Obama is.

'Afraid of' and 'disgusted by ' are very, very different things. I would also be interested in knowing the context of any such statements from granny. Also, haven't a number of prominent black leaders, such as Jesse Jackson, admitted essentially that under dodgy circumstances, they too are more afraid if the guys down the street are black rather than white? That's not racism - that's just playing the odds.

A Turtle Named Mack 11 June 2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llewtrah (Post 642426)
I admit I am amazed the USA is so hung up over race and over percentages of mixed blood.

Just because there are some people of the USA who have those attitudes, does not mean that most are.