snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Crime (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Store child abduction is denied (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=31547)

snopes 11 June 2008 02:36 AM

Store child abduction is denied
 
Telford police have moved to quash rumours of an attempted child abduction at a Telford supermarket.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2008/0...ion-is-denied/

snopes 29 July 2008 06:29 PM

North Wales abduction story 'just an urban myth'
 
Rumours a missing child was found in a supermarket toilet having a hair cut in a bizarre abduction attempt have been marked down as an urban myth.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...5578-21415480/

merd24 29 July 2008 06:39 PM

It was so strange to me that people still believe this myth. But after surveying a sample for my research that asked the sample (156 students) if they believed this myth to be true, I found that over 60% believed not only was it true but that it happened in a store in the area/or where they originated.

candy from strangers 29 July 2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merd24 (Post 693267)
It was so strange to me that people still believe this myth. But after surveying a sample for my research that asked the sample (156 students) if they believed this myth to be true, I found that over 60% believed not only was it true but that it happened in a store in the area/or where they originated.

And yet when I tried to spread this rumor while working at TJ Maxx (so that people would actually watch their freaking children, I don't even want to get into the many ridiculous situations that made me this desparate) no one believed it. One-day gas boycotts actually doing good were 100% true though, and no amount of logic would ever dissuade them :rolleyes:

RavenWaift 29 July 2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candy from strangers (Post 693276)
And yet when I tried to spread this rumor while working at TJ Maxx (so that people would actually watch their freaking children, I don't even want to get into the many ridiculous situations that made me this desparate) no one believed it. One-day gas boycotts actually doing good were 100% true though, and no amount of logic would ever dissuade them :rolleyes:

Maybe you just aren't believable?

catty5nutz 02 August 2008 05:24 PM

"Rumours a missing child was found in a supermarket toilet having a hair cut in a bizarre abduction attempt have been marked down as an urban myth."

Plus the fact that any self-respecting kid is going to scream their lungs out if any strange adult tries to touch them, let alone cut their hair.

Alright, there was the James Bulger case, but that was very unusual.

snopes 02 August 2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catty5nutz (Post 698178)
Plus the fact that any self-respecting kid is going to scream their lungs out if any strange adult tries to touch them, let alone cut their hair.

The usual scenario of the legend is that the child is drugged by his/her abductor(s) before the haircut takes place.

An Gadaí 03 September 2008 01:56 AM

The first time I heard this legend was from a friend who had family in Malaysia. At the time it seemed plausible that it had happened somewhere 'over there'.

Graham2001 30 September 2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Gadaí (Post 729614)
The first time I heard this legend was from a friend who had family in Malaysia. At the time it seemed plausible that it had happened somewhere 'over there'.

I heard this one from my Mum who claimed it had happened to the daughter of a friend of my Grandmothers in the Myers (department store) down in Fremantle.

snopes 26 May 2009 11:30 PM

Supermarket quashes abduction rumour
 
A supermarket chain has quashed rumours that have caused concern among parents in Great Yarmouth that a missing girl was found in the store with her hair cut.

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.u...2014:50:52:793

snopes 06 June 2009 04:19 AM

Shopping centre hits out at urban legend
 
False rumours about a child being kidnapped in the city's Drake Circus mall have led its management to issue a statement reassuring shoppers.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news...l/article.html

snopes 07 July 2010 08:46 PM

'No truth' in abduction rumours
 
Gardai have said there is "no truth" in a rumour which was circulating about an attempted child abduction in a shopping centre in Portlaoise.

http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/3...urs.6403916.jp

Not_Done_Living 11 July 2010 11:29 PM

non family related kidnappings are so rare, that they are anounced almost GLOBALLY...

(even Family related kidnappings in Canada are so rare, they broadcast the info nationally)..

i would think any kidnapping of this sort would make national news, and the child/victims name would be right on the lips of most who actually do care about these things.

snopes 13 January 2012 08:33 PM

Abduction rumours refuted by shopping centre management
 
MacDonagh Junction Shopping Centre has moved to reassure the Kilkenny public that a rumour surrounding the abduction of a child at the shopping centre over the Christmas is entirely untrue.

Donie Butler centre manager at the facility said in a statement that an assertion by an anonymous contributor to Facebook in December claiming that a “young person was abducted at the centre” prior to Christmas and “had their head shaved in the public toilets” is both absolutely false and untrue.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/ar...re-management-

snopes 01 May 2012 12:28 AM

Channel 10 Runs 'Disney World Abduction' Hoax
 
Channel 10 suspended reporter Sivan Cohen after reporting a well-known hoax claiming a 9-year old Israeli girl was nearly abducted at Disney World in Orlando.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/155300


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.