snopes.com

snopes.com (http://message.snopes.com/index.php)
-   Food (http://message.snopes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Salt on the right, pepper on the left (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=26755)

snopes 05 March 2008 04:29 AM

Salt on the right, pepper on the left

Comment: I've worked in restaurants for years, and I have always heard
that you put the salt on the right side of the pepper so that blind people
can know which one they're getting. Do you know if there is any truth to
this?

zerocool 05 March 2008 04:56 AM

Wouldn't it depend on what side of the table you're sitting?

kjbrasda 05 March 2008 05:08 AM

I would imagine someone could tell which was which by smelling the shakers.

llewtrah 05 March 2008 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerocool (Post 533524)
Wouldn't it depend on what side of the table you're sitting?

And not much use where S & P come in paper sachets in a bowl on the table.

Usually feeling the dispensers (1 hole for salt, many holes for pepper) or sniffing them help.

black roses19 05 March 2008 08:13 AM

I'm a waitress at a pizza restaurant and this is the policy we follow. Every salt/pepper/sugar caddy has to be placed at the back of the table (against the wall) with the salt on the right, the pepper on the left, sugar in front, and sweet in low in back. We train people to remember "white is right" (nice motto, eh? ;) ) We were told that it's for the visually impaired - an international standard.

So at least in my restaurant (and another i've worked in) that's the policy we follow.

Tarquin Farquart 05 March 2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llewtrah (Post 533556)
Usually feeling the dispensers (1 hole for salt, many holes for pepper) or sniffing them help.

Some places the holes are in the shape of an "s" or "p".

Cestrian 05 March 2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llewtrah (Post 533556)
And not much use where S & P come in paper sachets in a bowl on the table.

Actually in Turkey it seems to be the other way around (1 hole for pepper, many holes for salt). I've never understood why, although DW does use a lot more salt on her meal than I. Then again, she also puts a lot more pepper on her meals too. In fact condiment wise she is a definite user.

llewtrah 05 March 2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black roses19 (Post 533616)
I'm a waitress at a pizza restaurant and this is the policy we follow. Every salt/pepper/sugar caddy has to be placed at the back of the table (against the wall) with the salt on the right, the pepper on the left, sugar in front, and sweet in low in back. We train people to remember "white is right" (nice motto, eh? ;) ) We were told that it's for the visually impaired - an international standard.

So at least in my restaurant (and another i've worked in) that's the policy we follow.

This is fine for tables against the wall, but what about tables that are in th middle of the floor or round tables? In these cases the salt, pepper and other condiments are in the middle of the table and right/left depends on which side you are sat! I notice some have a little raised "S" or "P" on the dispenser. The plastic dispensers* for tomato ketchup and brown sauce in lots of diners here have the same shape and that would require a sniff-test.

I'll have to look more closely, but I have a feeling the "international standard" is a UL. Most of the ones I've seen have been in the middle of the table.

*where these sauces are purchased in great big bottles and decanted into smaller bottles for the table. A lot of places just have sachets of brown sauce, tomato sauce, English mustard, salad cream and tartare sauce (posher ones might have mayonnaise instead of salad cream)

Beachlife! 05 March 2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cestrian (Post 533643)
Actually in Turkey it seems to be the other way around (1 hole for pepper, many holes for salt). I've never understood why, although DW does use a lot more salt on her meal than I. Then again, she also puts a lot more pepper on her meals too. In fact condiment wise she is a definite user.

That's the way it is here in the United States as well, more holes for the salt.

Tarquin Farquart 05 March 2008 11:17 AM

Where salt has one hole, the hole is bigger.

Hans Off 05 March 2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cestrian (Post 533643)

And Germany, they drive on the right (condoment wise) as well...

Tarquin Farquart 05 March 2008 12:49 PM

Every time I see this thread title I find myself singing "salt to the left of me... pepper to the right..."

llewtrah 05 March 2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart (Post 533736)
Every time I see this thread title I find myself singing "salt to the left of me... pepper to the right..."

... stuck in the middle with you ...

Tarquin Farquart 05 March 2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llewtrah (Post 533854)
... stuck in the middle with you ...

To quote an old thread on here, did you know Billy Connelly played the pedal steel on that song?

Sly Dog 05 March 2008 04:28 PM

A friend who is blind told me she tells the difference between a salt shaker and a pepper shaker by holding it and shaking it sideways a couple times. The feeling of the salt is different from that of the pepper. The salt is heavier and has more inertia/momentum and she can feel the difference.

Silkenray 09 March 2008 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachlife! (Post 533667)
That's the way it is here in the United States as well, more holes for the salt.

Not from my experience.